Texas Hunting Forum

Is this a good kit?

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 03:49 PM

I am wanting to buy the stuff to be able to reload .223's and maybe end up doing 30-06 and .45 acp in the future. is this a decent kit to buy? Honestly I want to buy it and just hang onto it for now. But I want to get it now while I can afford it and in case they become hard to get. I figure I can stock up on components and be ready to go when I move my reloading and crappie jig tying stuff into a bigger room and have more room. (I reload shotgun shells already) should I get this kit or the deluxe?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 03:56 PM

Sure. It has all the basic gear in there that you will need to get started, other than shell holders and dies.

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 03:58 PM

And it will load what I am wanting to load accurately / precisely? And not fall apart?

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:00 PM

I guess what I'm asking is, are there limitations other than it isn't progressive?
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:47 PM

It will get you started but will have limitations mainly time to load.

How much ammo are you going to shoot?

Imo you need to do a lot of rounds a year to realize a saving
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:47 PM

You won't be disappointed. That's the kit I started with.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:52 PM

I have been reloading with an RCBS single stage press for 40 years. Their customer service is great and they make quality products. That kit has all you will need to turn out accurate ammunition and all you will have to add is dies and shell holders. IMO you can't go wrong with RCBS.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:53 PM

That kit plus dies and shell holders for your specific cartridges will meet all the equipment needs. There will be a few things to add over time but more for convenience than a requirement.

A progressive press just speeds up the production. In 39 years of reloading I have only considered getting a progressive press for a few years when I was shooting handguns a lot, some competition but got it done with a used turret press I picked up and that doesn't speed things up that much over a single stage press.

Add a bullet puller, tumbler for cleaning brass and powder trickler and be good to go with that kit.

As you progress in reloading you might want to add other things but might not depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Many get a kit and never add much of anything while others think they need every gadget available.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 04:53 PM

As far a lasting yes it will.... I bought mine in 1978 and it's still working fine
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 05:55 PM

Good to go.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/18/16 07:26 PM

That is a dandy kit. A few things I would replace, but that's just me. I have the same press. Leave it by the front door and use it as a weapon, you just can't break a rock chucker. As far as speed, you can be real snappy once you get that rhythm. Just be careful, use a good loading block and charge 50 cases at a time and then eyeball each filled case to make sure you did not double charge one, that's about all you can mess up that will not be apparent at once.

And get the 223 competition seating die. It is adjustable via mic and repeatable. I love mine.
Posted By: dnite

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/19/16 04:37 PM

good kit to start with. You might consider a Sierra and Lyman load manual as well.
Read the manual BEFORE you start!

dk
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/19/16 05:13 PM

RCBS is good stuff, and their lifetime warranty is real. I broke a primer seater that I had bought in the early 80's for $12.95 (still had the box with price sticker). They replaced it for free, and it was at least 30 years old. And since then they replaced a few other minor items.
Posted By: Blackout Bill

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/21/16 01:21 AM

Best hobby ever! I started with Hornady myself. No real reason other than I love their ammo and just stuck with the brand. Can't go wrong RCBS and agree with all advice above. I use a digital scale/dispenser only. I know....... It's slower but I load 15 different rounds. Truly like the tenth of a grain accuracy for rifle loads. 3 years so far and in no hurry for progressive. It's stess relief for me.

Best of luck.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/21/16 02:14 PM

up
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/23/16 06:44 PM

Here are a few items to add to the kit.

A good set of calipers:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/411115/starrett-1202-dial-caliper-6-stainless-steel

Headspace gauge, overlooked by many, but really one of the most helpful tools:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/479704/...with-comparator

Bullet comparator, which measures base to ogive, is very useful:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231904/...-with-6-inserts
Posted By: TackDriver

Re: Is this a good kit? - 05/24/16 10:38 PM

Perfect starter. I started with that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum