Texas Hunting Forum

Hybrid vs VLD

Posted By: TackDriver

Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 01:00 AM

I have never tried Hybrid, and how much difference does Hybrid have in comparison to VLD? I know that VLD needs a very short seating depth to touch the lands. I, mostly, am using Matchkings, but may be using Bergers soon for the Creedmore 6.5
Posted By: bo3

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 01:04 AM

Hybrid should be more forgiving on the seating depth. Its possible to load to mag length with them however I still Los them long in my 300win.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 01:24 AM

With the combination of a tangent and secant ogive the Hybrid is more forgiving of seating depth. This makes it much easier to develop a magazine length load that shoots accurately. Hybrids also has a very high B.C. for its caliber/weight so they make a great long range choice.
The Hybrids are designed as a target bullet so you may want to keep that in mind if you want to use them for hunting. I use them for my hunting in a 7LRM and have had great results with them.
Posted By: jeff1383

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 02:23 AM

The difference of BC between the two is minimal. I've had better results with 140 vlds in 2 different rifles than with hybrids. My experience has been that the hybrids ARE seating depth sensitive as to where the vlds have been super accurate between .010 to .070 off.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 02:27 AM

Here's a seating depth test using the 140 vld in a .260 I've NEVER seen any of my rifles shoot the hybrid this tight in a seating depth test.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: jeff1383

Here's a seating depth test using the 140 vld in a .260 I've NEVER seen any of my rifles shoot the hybrid this tight in a seating depth test.

Looks like it shoots better the further out you seat them. I read somewhere that the VLD shoots better off the lands, anywhere from .025 to .075

Nice grouping.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 03:52 AM

Every barrel is different...even if same caliber and reamer is used. I can't or won't explain it...but the hybrids are worth trying and a great target bullet. The 105 6mm is a impressive little bullet. Not a thing wrong with VLD's either...just pick your poison.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 12:34 PM

Guess you went with the .050" jump. wink
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 01:12 PM

I'm about to order some 6.5 bullets and was about to get Hybrids. Dang, maybe I should try some VLDs as well.
Posted By: dee

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 01:26 PM

Hybrids are nice and would be my first choice over the vld if it's an option. That being said if you already have a great load with smk I would just run it.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 02:44 PM

Four shots at 100, hybrids.

Even Berger says the Hybrid are not as picky as the VLDs, but YMMV.

Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 05:00 PM

interesting read on VLD seating depth from Berger's site -- http://www.bergerbullets.com/getting-the-best-precision-and-accuracy-from-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle/

Quote:
The following has been verified by numerous shooters in many rifles using bullets of different calibers and weights. It is consistent for all VLD bullets. What has been discovered is that VLD bullets shoot best when loaded to a COAL that puts the bullet in a “sweet spot”. This sweet spot is a band .030 to .040 wide and is located anywhere between jamming the bullets into the lands and .150 jump off the lands.

Note: When discussing jam and jump I am referring to the distance from the area of the bearing surface that engages the rifling and the rifling itself. There are many products that allow you to measure these critical dimensions. Some are better than others. I won’t be going into the methods of measuring jam and jump. If you are not familiar with this aspect of reloading it is critically important that you understand this concept before you attempt this test.

Many reloaders feel (and I tend to agree) that meaningful COAL adjustments are .002 to .005. Every once in a while I might adjust the COAL by .010 but this seems like I am moving the bullet the length of a football field. The only way a shooter will be able to benefit from this situation is to let go of this opinion that more than .010 change is too much (me included).

Trying to find the COAL that puts you in the sweet spot by moving .002 to .010 will take so long the barrel may be worn out by the time you sort it out if you don’t give up first. Since the sweet spot is .030 to .040 wide we recommend that you conduct the following test to find your rifles VLD sweet spot.

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:
1. .010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
2. .040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Haha I did! It was shooting so well I had to sell it and buy another rifle for some odd reason loco

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien

Cool.....now shoot 3-4 more groups with .010 jump sequence and I bet you won't produce groups near that size. I'm not saying hybrids suck...they're a great bullet. My personal experience is they require a lot of work to shoot well.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 06:48 PM

The VLD's do shoot best close to the lands. They say there is a sweet spot jumping them, but I have yet to find it. I have tried the VLD's in rifles that can not get the VLD's close tot he lands, and they do not shoot as good. You can get moa accuracy, but I'm talking about the sweet spot where the groups go to one hole or 1/3 moa or better.

If I have a situation where there will be a jump, then the hybrids will be used. They will tolerate a jump better than the VLD's, and still shoot good. They are definitely less finicky, but not 100% immune to jump. The hybrids like a slight jump, where the VLD;s like to be touching (not jammed) or very close to lands.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 06:50 PM

Why would you want to shoot more groups with a different jump than the group that shoots like that? smile

For what it's worth, my experience with the hybrids is the tune window is .004. It won't be like a vld and you can't tune them the same. You also don't have to chase the lands with them, if you find a seating depth that shoots... It'll shoot like that until the barrel wears out.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 07:02 PM

Haha I did! It was shooting so well I had to sell it and buy another rifle for some odd reason loco

Because it was over. You needed another rifle to work on to get it to shoot, just to say you did.

I've had friends call "this rifle shoots like crap!" and I say "bring it to me, we'll just see about that". In other words, "challenge accepted".

It's a sickness some of us have.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Why would you want to shoot more groups with a different jump than the group that shoots like that? smile

Whut I'm talkin bout.

That's one that you take to a PRS match and they put you on hundred yard paper shooting tacks and stickers of flies, and you say "bring it".

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 08:03 PM

My point IS that in MY experience the hybrid IS sensitive to jump. I can't shoot them in my current rifle because jam-10 thou off is the ONLY place they shot well. At that length I'd have to single feed...no thanks. Bergers claim isn't 100% true in my experience.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 09:08 PM

Well, I guess I'll find out. Just ordered some Hybrids.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 10:26 PM

My point IS that in MY experience the hybrid IS sensitive to jump. I can't shoot them in my current rifle because jam-10 thou off is the ONLY place they shot well. At that length I'd have to single feed...no thanks. Bergers claim isn't 100% true in my experience.

Jeff, have you experimented with various jumps? No one that isn't benchrest wants a single shot rifle, that was built to be a repeater.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 11:22 PM

Cool.....now shoot 3-4 more groups with .010 jump sequence and I bet you won't produce groups near that size. I'm not saying hybrids suck...they're a great bullet. My personal experience is they require a lot of work to shoot well.

Man you jerked the crap out of shot #5

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/02/16 11:29 PM

Jeff, have you experimented with various jumps? No one that isn't benchrest wants a single shot rifle, that was built to be a repeater.

Sure did. Loaded up and found my optimal charge weight. I was getting an SD of 4 at the load near the rifling. Then started to seat them in jumps of .020 all the way to .120. Nothing showed promise except for maybe .080 and I wasn't really impressed. I'm shooting the 130 hybrid now at .015 off which is only a OAL of 2.830 in my rifle which works great as I can chase the rifling as my throat burns up.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 12:15 AM

You are the only one I've ever heard of that has trouble with the hybrids.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 12:42 AM

He's missing every window tuning them like a vld. Most everyone I know who shoots hybrids can find a window between touching and .025 jump.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 12:57 AM

Dang!

I was going to experiment with them in .005" jump increments.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 01:04 AM

I've never touched my oal on my 6cm load and the rifle has around 1200rds on it. The last time I shot anything remotely close to groups was this group my wife shoot at 400yds on a red flag warning day. Is it overly impressive no but with limited experience in poor conditions it's good.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
He's missing every window tuning them like a vld. Most everyone I know who shoots hybrids can find a window between touching and .025 jump.

DUDE......read my posts. They shot lights out with great #s at 10 thou off. That's a cartridge overall length of 2.900 in my rifle....that makes it single feed only. Why would I waste any more time dicking with this bullet? It's not the end all when it comes to a great 6.5 pill there's a TON to choose from.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 01:31 AM

I'm reading.... There are other windows that will shoot like it does at .010. You're jumping over them and missing them. It's no big deal, as you said (and I agree) there are a lot of good bullets out there. I might be jumping to conclusions but I would guess you've not played with hybrids a bunch because everyone who has played with them a lot say they're easier to tune. You just have the vld's figured out and they are easier for you...nothing wrong with that as vld's are a good bullet and if you have them figured out, then why change. I don't like chasing lands and that is the main reason I dumped them and went to a hybrid.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 01:44 AM

I might be missing them if I'm testing in .020 jumps...but then again they're jump tolerant bullets right? I went with the shorter 130 hybrid as it's loaded to a mag friendly length and shoots tight. That bullets allows me plenty of space to load out longer as the throat wears...as does the 139 or 136 scenars that shot well for me.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Man you jerked the crap out of shot #5

Man, you called me out!

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 08:13 PM

I might be missing them if I'm testing in .020 jumps...but then again they're jump tolerant bullets right?

Sure they're jump tolerant. I think what the guys are saying is that you probably could have made them shoot had you not jumped in such large increments. And, personally I'd want to know if I could refine my methods to make even better hand loads. I think everyone's motivation is that of wanting to help with information for future projects, rather than calling you dumb

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/03/16 11:14 PM

I might be missing them if I'm testing in .020 jumps...but then again they're jump tolerant bullets right?

Sure they're jump tolerant. I think what the guys are saying is that you probably could have made them shoot had you not jumped in such large increments. And, personally I'd want to know if I could refine my methods to make even better hand loads. I think everyone's motivation is that of wanting to help with information for future projects, rather than calling you dumb

No offense taken trust me. I like hybrids and the concept. I have a 338nm that was purposely built just for the 300 grain hybrid with shorter free bore. I usually find my go to load with a bullet in 2 trips to the range. The hybrid in my creedmoor chamber for 2 different rifles required much effort to fine tune. If I have to seat them in groups of 5 by .005 and shoot a box of bullets over multiple trips to the range....I'll just shoot a more forgiving projectile. Again this is just my personal experience. I'm not here telling anyone not to buy them trust me it's a great bullet.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 01:40 AM

Funny you mention that. Judd taught me something about a month ago.

We had found "the powder charge". I got behind his rifle while he loaded ammo. I shot two rounds with the bullet even with the lands. I told him the spread in Mils. He jumped them .003", and loaded two. I shot those two, and reported the spread. Moved on with more of a jump, and we repeated. We carried on for several seating depth tests with only two shots. Then it tightened up. He noted the jump, and we carried on. It never got better, so we went back to that specific jump and he loaded me three. I shot that group, and it was pretty darn good. We did all this at 200 yards where it was plenty easy to see bullet holes.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 01:55 AM

Seating depth can be super crucial depending on if the bullet needs that specific sweet spot. I always find my charge weight then fine tune with different seating depths. It's how I started and how I still do it to this day.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 02:25 AM

As is the usual process for most of us.

The point I was making is that we shot very few rounds, and did not jump the bullets near as large as twenty thousandth increments.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:03 AM

Are the 6.5 Berger Hybrids only available in 130 grain? It's the Tactical OTM bullets, correct?

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Stan
Are the 6.5 Berger Hybrids only available in 130 grain? It's the Tactical OTM bullets, correct?

No there's a 140 hybrid and a 130 otm hybrid. 2800 fps range seems to be the ticket for the 140s. Some guys reporting accuracy with the 130s at a tad over 3000 fps. 2840-2950 is the norm for velocity I've seen for the 130s.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:11 AM

As is the usual process for most of us.

The point I was making is that we shot very few rounds, and did not jump the bullets near as large as twenty thousandth increments.

True dat woot

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:15 AM

No there's a 140 hybrid and a 130 otm hybrid. 2800 fps range seems to be the ticket for the 140s. Some guys reporting accuracy with the 130s at a tad over 3000 fps. 2840-2950 is the norm for velocity I've seen for the 130s.

Right, but I was looking for 130 Hybrids only. Are you referring the velocity to the 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5 x 284?

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:18 AM

Right, but I was looking for 130 Hybrids only. Are you referring the velocity to the 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5 x 284?

The 130 otm hybrid is the bullet I'm referring to. It's the only one as far as the hybrid design in that bullet weight class of 130. I'm referring to 6.5 creedmoor not x284.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:23 AM

From another website. I DON'T advise to do that without safely working up. I'm at 43.3 and getting 2922 fps avg. On my 4th firing of the same lot of hornady brass and the primer pockets are still tight.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:24 AM

The 130 otm hybrid is the bullet I'm referring to. It's the only one as far as the hybrid design in that bullet weight class of 130. I'm referring to 6.5 creedmoor not x284.

I heard most of the tournament shooters are winning with the 130's.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:30 AM

Not sure if they are or not. I don't have enough $ or free time to even start to compete with those class of shooters. You should try 140 hybrids or 130s. Let your rifle tell you what it likes.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 11:32 AM

A lot of guys in PRS run a 140 hybrid toned down to the 2750fps range. Speed is fine and great but comes with higher pressure which can be a issue in damp conditions or after a high shot count fast string.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 03:02 PM

Ordered both Hybrids, thanks guys. Still waiting for the rings for the Creedmore. I'll work up some handloads and see how it does.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 04:58 PM

I am shooting 140 Hybrids at the lands out of my 6.5-284 at about 2975.

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/04/16 05:19 PM

Funny you mention that. Judd taught me something about a month ago.

We had found "the powder charge". I got behind his rifle while he loaded ammo. I shot two rounds with the bullet even with the lands. I told him the spread in Mils. He jumped them .003", and loaded two. I shot those two, and reported the spread. Moved on with more of a jump, and we repeated. We carried on for several seating depth tests with only two shots. Then it tightened up. He noted the jump, and we carried on. It never got better, so we went back to that specific jump and he loaded me three. I shot that group, and it was pretty darn good. We did all this at 200 yards where it was plenty easy to see bullet holes.

Dude...don't give all my secrets away...especially to the non-paying customers grin

I'm kidding but JG is right, that is how I test seating depth...a Wilson seating die and arbor press make this much easier to do at the range. In my experience you get a more consistent OAL too...keep in mind much like regular seating dies you will need what Wilson calls a "swift" stem for hybrid or VLD bullets...otherwise you'll get a real nice ring around them at the top.
Posted By: ImBillT

Re: Hybrid vs VLD - 05/06/16 05:38 PM

I was in a hurry go hog hunting and try some 185 VLD's. I just loaded them to mag length in my FTR rifle and checked sight-in. I figured I would go through Berger's recommended seating depth process later. The darn thing shot as good or better than when they were jammed. VLD's may always shoot well jammed and may sometimes need adjustment to shoot jumped, but they can definitely be made to shoot when jumping, and in my case, they went straight to shooting
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum