Texas Hunting Forum

6.5 Creedmoor reloaders

Posted By: Buzzsaw

6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/07/16 10:38 PM

who has tried the 142 gr. Sierra MatchKing. Got some coming, they are different looking from other MatchKings

any advice?
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/08/16 12:00 AM

Hadn't seen those yet. I'm loading ELD-X and 142 Accubond Long Ranges at the moment. They are long, so you'll have to load them to full length, basically at the lands or as long as your mag well will allow for. I'm getting a touch over 2800 fps with a 23" barrel (plus muzzle brake) using Hodgdon Superformance. It's been a few weeks since I've loaded any, but I think I'm squeezing around 46 grains in there with no major pressure signs. Nothing like the totally blown out primers I got with CFE223 (only use that with the 100grn TTSX now).
Posted By: Judd

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/08/16 03:06 PM

Berger quit making 140's? That's the only reason I see to try a SMK wink

I'm just messing with you Buzz. I've actually seen some good reports on the new pointed SMK's, but I've not tried them. As long as I can keep getting Berger's they've earned my loyalty.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/08/16 03:29 PM

Tipped Match King. Direct competitor with the A-Max, now the ELD, since Hornady is phasing out the A-Max. Less expensive than a Berger, and less picky about relationship with the lands.

Been real happy with the ones loaded in my LR 308. Go at it like any other load development. Find the rifling, see if you can get close to the lands and still fit in the mag. Start the H-4350 at 41.5 and work up toward 43.0 gr. in .3 gr increments. Stop when you see pressure signs.

See what you see.
Posted By: Dien

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/08/16 06:35 PM

My Berger 140 Hybrids aren't picky about the lands. Perhaps you speck of the VLDs?
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor reloaders - 04/08/16 07:50 PM

I have shot a few of the 142 SMk's in my Creed, they were just average. I might have been off the node a bit though since I was loading off my data for the 140 AMAX (42.3 of H4350). The 123 SMK mine will shoot through one hole. 140 AMAX is OK, 130 Berger hunting VLD is OK. The 140 Hybrid didn't shoot any more accurate for me than the 140 AMAX did.

136 Scenar L is tuning in pretty nice though, it has kind of that SMK ogive and look to it. It has been pretty consistent for me. BC isn't that great though. Being an OTM design, I am anxious to see if it will fly through trans-sonic.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum