Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady l-n-l powder measure

Posted By: BassCat'99

Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 05:08 PM

Looking for info for this measure, good-bad-so so.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 05:34 PM

Very good experience with the one I had. Make sure to read the instructions regarding initial degreasing and lubrication. They recommend lubricating with One Shot Gun Cleaner and Lube. This spray is different the the One Shot Case Lube.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 05:35 PM

I love mine. Meters most powders well, and with the powder bushings, I can easily swap between throwing 5.2gr of Power Pistol, 41.7gr of H4350, 17gr of 2400, and 3.3gr of Bullseye.

It only comes with the rifle rotor and 1 rifle bushing, however, so if you're looking to throw less than 15gr of powder consistently, you'll need to purchase the pistol rotor and bushing. I tried metering my PP and Bullseye loads using the rifle bushing, but it is far too inconsistent to rely on if I'm anywhere near max in my loads.

It meters ball and flake powders well (within .1gr), but I find that I cut extruded powders almost every time, giving me around a .2gr variance. So I just set it to throw around .2gr low, and trickle to get the rest. But it does most of the work for me, so I don't mind too much.

And Jeff's right. Degrease and lube to start off with, and it'll make your throws much better. Once it builds up a little bit of a graphite layer on the hopper and bowl, it also does much better.

Posted By: DStroud

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 06:41 PM

I have two of them and a RCBS powder thrower...well also a Dillon on my 650 but it's the one I like least.
Hornady is very good IMO.

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 07:05 PM

I've been going back and forth on this or the RCBS. Rcbs seems twice the price, of the two which is more consistent?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 07:39 PM

I would say they are equal so take the cheaper one.

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 07:53 PM

thanks for yall's input.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/27/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I would say they are equal so take the cheaper one.

Agree
Posted By: noylj

Re: Hornady l-n-l powder measure - 03/28/16 02:01 PM

It is a great powder measure. It is more consistent than Dillon and almost as consistent as the Lee PPM, while feeling a whole lot better.
The only "problem" I hear is when folks complain and it turns out they have the wrong rotor in the measure.
Other than that, when used on a progressive press, it is very top heavy and can work a die bushing loose, but I don't consider that the fault of the measure, rather a bad o-ring and filling the hopper more than really required.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum