Texas Hunting Forum

Users of new IMR Enduron

Posted By: DStroud

Users of new IMR Enduron - 02/01/16 03:35 PM

I have been using the IMR 4166 in two rifles here recently and cleaned both guns this week-end. Both had about 50-60 rounds since being cleaned. It seemed to me that the powder fouling seemed excessive and took more passes to get it all versus say IMR 4064.
I have also noticed that when I use CFE223(another Copper removing powder)that the residue is also heavy and very black BUT quite easy to get out quickly.
These two rifles took soaking with bore foam a couple of times and numerous patches with KG1 to get them clean. Not much copper but I don't think these get much copper.

I will also add I use Reloder 26 another supposed copper removing powder in several guns and it cleans up quick and easy.
Just thought I would post and see if anyone else noticed similar.

I know I won't hear from FiremanFG as he only cleans every February 29th ... grin
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Users of new IMR Enduron - 02/01/16 04:54 PM

I can't speak to these particular powders but am interested in hearing what cleaning chemicals and process you use. Are you trying to get carbon, copper or both out with your cleaning? Patches only or using a brush?
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Users of new IMR Enduron - 02/01/16 05:53 PM

Im trying 7977 in 7mag and 6.5x284 at the moment. Been using cfe-223 for 223 fmj plinking and shtf loads. Decent accuracy, but nothing close to H335 or varget.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Users of new IMR Enduron - 02/02/16 02:57 AM

[quote=Big Fitz]I can't speak to these particular powders but am interested in hearing what cleaning chemicals and process you use. Are you trying to get carbon, copper or both out with your cleaning? Patches only or using a brush? [/quot

On bolt guns I normally put foam in the barrel as I leave the range while the barrel is warm and by the time I am home it's been soaking a while. I do not prefer one brand of foam over another as they all seem to be the same...would not surprise me if all were made by same company just re-branded.

I then run a patch down which tells me if there is copper present or not. I get almost all the carbon out before I worry about working on copper.

I have tried about every product out there for cleaning and right now use the KG brand stuff for carbon (KG1) and then KG12 if I think copper is bad. I only use a brush if the barrel seems really dirty and the carbon is stubborn or a rough barrel. All brushing and patching is one way as I do not pull back into barrel or crown.

Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Users of new IMR Enduron - 02/02/16 03:46 PM

In my testing with 4166 in a 243, the 4166 burned very clean once I got it up to pressure. I tested W760 as well, and it was extremely dirty as far as carbon fouling. The 4166 was the hands-down winner for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum