Texas Hunting Forum

still looking for a good ammo

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 02:33 AM

Ok so I tested 3 or 4 different brands and combos of ammo and saw very close results out of each. So now it would really come down to what hits hard, and does the best job of killing. Yes I know dead is dead...I am sticking with factory ammo as opposed to reloads or anything right now. So Im looking at Barnes TTSX ammo, Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tip, or Nosler with the Accubond bullets. What are anyones hunting experiences with all of those?
Posted By: btp

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 02:54 AM

I don't think you are going to have an issue with any of them. I've used them all (hand loading) and dead is dead. I do like the Barnes best, but nothing to do with things getting deader. I raw feed my dogs and the barnes stay together so I don't have to worry about bits of lead in the meat.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 02:28 PM

What gun? Caliber? Animals for said ammo? Distances?
Posted By: Cast

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 02:43 PM

The Barnes and Accubonds would be my choice. Depends on the game.

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 08:01 PM

tikka t3, 22" barrel, .270 caliber, 130 grain bullets, deer, hog and any exotics in Texas, feeder at 150-200 but ranges would be anything 50 yds to 400 yds
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/09/16 10:52 PM

VLD hunters?
http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/10/16 05:48 AM

looking for factory ammo.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/10/16 06:41 AM

Your gun aint shooting, go get ya a box of remington core-lokts. I personally hate them, they are certainly NOT the "deadliest mushroom in the woods". everytime i exhaust every option, they end up shooting when nothing else will. I dont know why, but its a fact.
Posted By: JCB

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/11/16 01:44 AM

Accubond. Those others aint even in the same class.
Posted By: Tipps

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/19/16 07:29 PM

yeah probably the nosler is what i would recommend
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/19/16 07:48 PM

They are pricey, but I have been trying the Remington Scirocco lately. They seem to be decent from my 7mm.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/19/16 11:23 PM

Tried the TTSX in a 7mm-08 and a 25-06. About 1 in 10 just penciled through game animals unless I took out a shoulder or spine/neck.
Use the Ballistic Tips in my grandson's 243. He took two bucks with it this year, one at about 60 yards and the other touch over 100. Both DRT. Good expansion and decent entry/exit wounds.
In my 243 and 264 WM AND my two 25-06's, I've had very good luck with the Accubonds. I took a little doe this year with the 243 at 206 with a .243 entrance and a 1" exit. She dropped in her tracks. Same results on a big, old buck axis that needed removing from the herd. That one was with a 25-06. Haven't managed anything with the 264 yet.

So, short end, I'd advise one of the two Noslers. The BT will be cheaper for reloaders and probably same with factory ammo.
It will really all come down to which one YOUR rifle shoots the best. All of them will work for what you're wanting to shoot.
Posted By: postoak

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/20/16 12:13 AM

Federal Premium with Nosler Ballistic Tips produced the largest wound channels for me but I've heard every caliber is slightly different, and they have changed the BTs from time to time. Still, I would start there -- unless you are a shoulder shooter, then, I'd avoid them and go with something like the Barnes TTSX.
Posted By: Nick1

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/21/16 11:03 PM

I have same gun, tried all the expensive ballistic stuff, core lokts, premium stuff etc: hated results. Got a box of federal 130 grain soft points in blue box. Gun loved it! Predictable and accurate. Deer drop in place. 21$ a box at bass, 17$ at ghetto-mart. No reason to spend 40 a box.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: still looking for a good ammo - 01/21/16 11:13 PM

Just find something that shoots good in your rifle. I'm a picky reloader and use Nosler BT's in most of my rifles. They work great. The Accubond might even work better, but I don't need better. I've put down a couple hundred deer with Ballistic Tips. Before that it was mostly Remington CoreLokts. They worked great too.

A non-picky hunter was my Dad. He shot a 270 and had an assortment of ammo of different makes and even different bullet weights. He killed a lot of deer. At 100 yards, I suppose it just doesn't matter that much if you are an inch or two off. Most of us, however, want a bit more precision than that.

I'd probably go with the Federal Premium and the 130 gr Nosler BT's.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum