Texas Hunting Forum

Vertical Stringing Question

Posted By: Furb

Vertical Stringing Question - 12/19/15 08:45 PM

So my 6.8 is vertical stringing, not bad, still under 1" top to bottom on the 5 shot group. ES is about 80 FPS also. Question is would you worry about tweaking the load to eliminate the stringing or just let it be, gun as a 20" AR15. Target is the one on the right.

Side note, the new lot of Varget I got seemed to tighten up the 308 grouping plus added about 30FPS with no pressure signs. Previous best group was around .479". 4 shot group because I only 5 rounds and not 6 so the one off to the side is the fouler/Cold Bore round.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Vertical Stringing Question - 12/19/15 09:14 PM

I'd shoot it at 200 yards or further if I had the place to do it. You might be surprised, or you might be aghast. The truth is you're not going to miss your target at 100 yards with a load shooting like that. If you shoot at 200 or further, though, it might be a different story.

There's some tricky stuff about how barrel harmonics treat trajectories with barrel time variations (as in velocity spread). It is possible to have virtually NO vertical spread at one distance while having several inches of vertical spread at another distance, with the very same load.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Vertical Stringing Question - 12/19/15 10:00 PM

You might check out the below topic where Chad mentioned some very interesting stringing issues he has experienced with ARs.

AR Shot Stringing by Chad
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Vertical Stringing Question - 12/19/15 10:24 PM

ES of 80, and a vertical string like that, I'd rework the load. And as River Rider suggested, I'd do it farther than 100 yards. Chad likes to use 200, I like 300+, to each his own.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Vertical Stringing Question - 12/20/15 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
ES of 80, and a vertical string like that, I'd rework the load. And as River Rider suggested, I'd do it farther than 100 yards. Chad likes to use 200, I like 300+, to each his own.

Agree 100%
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum