Texas Hunting Forum

is Federal/Nosler superior?

Posted By: Arrowslinger82

is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/17/15 05:22 AM

I love the performance that the Nosler bullets give. In factory ammo, is the Federal ammo with the Nosler bullets superior to the other brands out there?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/17/15 08:15 AM

Have had good performance from the Federal/Nosler for factory loads and Nosler ammo. Can beat it with handloading but in a few rifles not by much. Only complaint with Federal loads comes as a reloader the brass tends to be soft and does not last for very many times being reloaded
Posted By: Arrowslinger82

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/21/15 03:38 AM

anybody else?
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/21/15 03:51 AM

I've never shot Federal, have had excellent results with Winchester Silvertips which are loaded with Nosler bullets.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/21/15 03:57 AM

It has been years since I read a gun rag religously, but it seemed to me that Federal was pretty much the king of the hill for accuracy among the major domestic manufacturers. I only read these things out of interest...I don't think I've fired more than three or four boxes of factory rifle ammo in my whole life. Happily, I do not read the gun rags anymore and I have no idea whether Federal has maintained their standing or not...and it's still irrelevant to me!
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/21/15 12:32 PM

You aren't being very specific. Nosler has a huge selection of bullets (Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, Partitions, E-Tip, Custom Competition, Bonded Performance, Varmagheddon). I recall you were getting back in to rifle hunting after bow hunting for years and wanted to use a 270 for deer an hogs. Truly, any factory load from any manufacturer that shoots good in your rifle will work fine given those parameters. A $15-$20 box of core-lokts, power-points or Federal blue box "hi-shock" will all kill them as dead as a super premium that cost $45 a box.

Yes, Federal Ammunition does have a reputation for being accurate and consistent.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/21/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
You aren't being very specific. Nosler has a huge selection of bullets (Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, Partitions, E-Tip, Custom Competition, Bonded Performance, Varmagheddon). I recall you were getting back in to rifle hunting after bow hunting for years and wanted to use a 270 for deer an hogs. Truly, any factory load from any manufacturer that shoots good in your rifle will work fine given those parameters. A $15-$20 box of core-lokts, power-points or Federal blue box "hi-shock" will all kill them as dead as a super premium that cost $45 a box.

Yes, Federal Ammunition does have a reputation for being accurate and consistent.

I haven't seen much 270 ammo for $15 bucks a box in several years. Come to think of it I don't think much of it is even less than or at $20 a box anymore.

Everytime I read a post about someone who uses a corelock, gameking, interlock etc. that has a story about a deer they shot that ran off with no blood trail that they couldn't find it reassures me that the partitions and other "premium" bullets are worth what I pay for them to me.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/22/15 12:00 AM

I agree, Matt. When the expense of hunting is all tallied up, the price of a box or two of premium ammo makes a drop in the bucket.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: is Federal/Nosler superior? - 12/22/15 01:16 AM

I reload so I don't use factory ammo but 20 years ago I did and core-locks and hi-shock worked fine. Maybe I got lucky. Now I mostly use Ballistic Tips. I won't argue the greatness of the Partition. It's what I plan on using for Nilgai when I finally get down South to hunt them. I still don't think you need them to kill deer but I understand the whole bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt argument.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum