Texas Hunting Forum

Reloading equipment

Posted By: wildsidetaxi

Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 02:25 PM

Wanting to buy all equipment needed for reloading for my husband for Christmas. Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting started so money is not wasted.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 02:36 PM

A rock crusher start up kit would be good. Has he ever reloaded before?
Posted By: FUZZYHUNTER

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 03:14 PM

There is a few questions to answer before you start buying. How much is he going to reload? How much room do you have for reloading and the budget.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 06:36 PM

Lee equipment. It's good equipment and won't break the bank.

They have equipment if you have a small space or a large space.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 07:19 PM

I would not buy a kit. I would buy an RCBS Rock Chucker press, an RCBS 505 scale, an RCBS UniFlow powder measure, and maybe an RCBS Case Trimmer II to start and let him fill in the gaps. Kits often include a lot of stuff a handloader will want to upgrade and then that stuff ultimately just gets put aside and forgotten. Those four items are the basic essentials to a good reloading setup.

You can buy Lee equipment for a lot less, and it does the job. The thing about a lot of Lee products is that they're minimalistic in some cases and just downright cheaply built in others. There's not a thing wrong with using Lee stuff, but lots of reloaders don't want it on their benches. It's an economical way to break in to the hobby for someone who isn't bothered by Lee designs, though.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/06/15 09:18 PM

Yes, Fuzzyhunter asked good questions and I would add how are you fixed for money? What did you have in mind spending?
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/07/15 12:09 PM

Don't buy LEE products if you want to impress your reloading friends. Only buy it if you want equipment that works at a good price.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/08/15 12:12 PM

clap
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/08/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Don't buy LEE products if you want to impress your reloading friends. Only buy it if you want equipment that works at a good price.
amen
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/08/15 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I would not buy a kit. I would buy an RCBS Rock Chucker press, an RCBS 505 scale, an RCBS UniFlow powder measure, and maybe an RCBS Case Trimmer II to start and let him fill in the gaps. Kits often include a lot of stuff a handloader will want to upgrade and then that stuff ultimately just gets put aside and forgotten. Those four items are the basic essentials to a good reloading setup.

You can buy Lee equipment for a lot less, and it does the job. The thing about a lot of Lee products is that they're minimalistic in some cases and just downright cheaply built in others. There's not a thing wrong with using Lee stuff, but lots of reloaders don't want it on their benches. It's an economical way to break in to the hobby for someone who isn't bothered by Lee designs, though.
this
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/09/15 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

The ONLY Lee products that I don't like are the progressive presses. You have to go Dillon or Hornady there. But for everything else, I agree 100%.

PS I still use Lee dies in my Dillon, and a Lee scale to check powder charges.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/09/15 07:38 PM

Start with a single stage press, personal preference is a RCBS but all have there own merits. Lee is a reputable manufacturer and is on the lower cost end. Hornady is an outstanding company and produces top quality products. Dillion is also an outstanding company and great products. All have great customer service from what I've experience and heard. The Starter kits do offer a good amount of start up equipment and will allow him to have the basics. It truly does not matter what is purchased at first cause he will end up customizing his setup.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/09/15 08:22 PM

Everyone is assuming he is reloading rifle. No one asked if this was for rifle, pistol, or shot shell???
Posted By: possom813

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/14/15 09:09 AM

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

On sale for 289.99 And an additional $15 off with your first order.

Not a bad deal and a pretty good starter kit.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/14/15 03:01 PM

I'm going to recommend the Hornady Lock-n-Load classic kit over the RCBS, pretty much only because it comes with a digital scale over the balance beam. It also comes with a 500 free bullets promo from Hornady which cuts the net cost significantly.

I found mine for $200 through Palmetto State Armory, you might be able to find a similar deal if you wait for a little while.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Reloading equipment - 12/25/15 10:32 AM

So what'd you get him?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum