Texas Hunting Forum

New Winchester Deer Season ammo

Posted By: BigMarsh72

New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/05/15 11:50 PM

Has anyone used this ammo ? It just came out this year and wanted to hear some reviews on this round before I switch to it in my 30-06.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/18/15 07:15 PM

I used it this year in my .270. I was surprised how well it shot at the range. All three shots were touching at 100 yards.
I shot two deer with it this year. Both deer dropped in their tracks. First deer was about a 90 yard shot and the second was 230 yards.
I was impressed with the ammo. I shoot a Tikka T3.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/18/15 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: cheetah577
I used it this year in my .270. I was surprised how well it shot at the range. All three shots were touching at 100 yards.
I shot two deer with it this year. Both deer dropped in their tracks. First deer was about a 90 yard shot and the second was 230 yards.
I was impressed with the ammo. I shoot a Tikka T3.

Did it do anything any other soft point wouldn't do?
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/19/15 12:00 AM

I've used Nosler partitions most of my life. These made a bigger whole upon exit. Can't say it performed any better than a soft point.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/19/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: cheetah577
I've used Nosler partitions most of my life. These made a bigger whole upon exit. Can't say it performed any better than a soft point.

I may try them if I can find the bullets.
Posted By: rickym

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/19/15 04:21 AM

My wife shoots them in her .270, shot a doe quartering away at about 70 yards. It ran about 30 yards. They seem pretty accurate in her rifle. Very consistent
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/21/15 02:47 PM

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to because I see a lot of Winchester black boxes on the shelves. But my wife shot a red deer doe a month ago in the neck and she literally went out in an instant. It was the 130gr 270 in the black Winchester boxes, I believe they call it the power max. It wasn't pricey either, $28 at academy.

Before the hunt I was able to get a consistent 1-2" group at 200yards in her tikka, bone stock with Talley rings and a 3-15x scope.
Posted By: JJH

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/22/15 03:07 AM

Winchester introduced a new line of ammo this year called Deer Season XP. It has a very large polymer tip.

If you are happy with your Power Max loads, I see no reason to switch.
Posted By: D-Day

Re: New Winchester Deer Season ammo - 12/27/15 03:38 AM

I'm interested in trying the bullets but Sierra HPBT 165gr is very hard to beat in my .30-06.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum