Texas Hunting Forum

Cleaning rods

Posted By: DLALLDER

Cleaning rods - 11/27/15 03:31 AM

Need some suggestions about cleaning rods and bore guides. Do I need to buy a different rod and bore guide for each cartridge? Fill me in. Thanks
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/27/15 10:58 AM

I use 3 different size rods, and basically 2 bore guides
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/27/15 01:48 PM

Dewey Rods and lucas bore guides
Posted By: Ritter

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/27/15 11:53 PM

Never clean a rifle without a bore guide.

It's better to have a rod for each caliber rifle you have. That will make sure that the rod itself is the right diameter for the bore, not too small and flexible or too large and tight, and help cut down on its making excessive contact with the throat or bore. Never use a cheap aluminum rod unless you really hate that particular rifle. Dewey makes some of the better designed cleaning rods and they have them available in different diameters and lengths top fit your apllication.

Lucas makes the best bore guides I have found, they are caliber specific to fit tightly in the chamber, have solvent ports to make cleaning a rifle less of a mess and they also have an insert that slides down the cleaning rod and into the back of the bore guide to help eliminate flex in the rod to protect the barrel's throat. They can also be difficult to find. I have found that just a handful of specialty retailers or gunsmiths keep them in inventory. They are next to impossible find online at at any other retailer.

If you can't find a Lucas guide the next best one available is Possum Hollow.

Did i mention, Never clean a rifle without a bore guide.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 12:21 AM

Thanks guys
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 12:42 AM

Forget the Dewey Rods, the coating comes off. Tipton or Bore Stix.

Defiantly Mike Lucas guides, tell him what rifle, caliber, size and brand of cleaning rod you use,, but it could take a while, Possum Hollow if you're in a hurry.
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Forget the Dewey Rods, the coating comes off. Tipton or Bore Stix.

Defiantly Mike Lucas guides, tell him what rifle, caliber, size and brand of cleaning rod you use,, but it could take a while, Possum Hollow if you're in a hurry.

Had mine for years...no such issue for me
Posted By: D-Day

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 03:14 AM

Tipton bore guide with 3 tips.

Kleenbore coated and stainless steel one-piece rods.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 05:00 PM

Had my Dewey for at least 5 years. No coating issues. My gunsmith has several and they are all heavily used and older than mine and the coating hasn't come off. Maybe if you use them improperly, the coating comes off but I've never seen it happen. They are quality cleaning rods.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Cleaning rods - 11/28/15 11:07 PM

Dewey/Lucas.

I use Tipton as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum