Texas Hunting Forum

Would you!?

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Would you!? - 11/26/15 12:09 AM

Hunt nilgai with Nosler Accubond 200 gr. bullets chambered in 300 WM or go with 200 gr partitions? I reload with the accubond so I don't want to move from a bullet that shoots great..
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Would you!? - 11/26/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
I reload with the accubond so I don't want to move from a bullet that shoots great..

There's your answer.
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Would you!? - 11/26/15 01:02 AM

I just didn't know if they were solid enough of a bullet

Re: Would you!? - 11/26/15 01:17 AM

Put it where it goes, keep shooting if it is still standing. Lots of folks worry the same about a Berger VLD. Everything I've shot with it died quickly with one round, including a bull elk at 200 yards. If you have the time and desire to work a load with the partition, go for it. If it will ease your mind. Personally I'd shoot the Accubond since you already have the rifle dialed in for it.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Would you!? - 11/26/15 04:21 AM

Accubond will be fine, just be aware that Nilgai are notoriously tough animals, so don't be surprised if it runs quite some distance before expiring. Personally, I'd immediately chamber another round (regardless your bullet choice), and be ready to place another shot on the animal if needed.

Best of luck Sir,

Flint.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Would you!? - 11/27/15 01:08 AM

AB will be fine but if its on its feet you should be shooting till it drops. then keep your gun on it and ready
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Would you!? - 11/27/15 03:36 AM

I would not hesitate to use an accubond in that weight from that caliber. I have seen them work very well on elk from smaller calibers very well. Agree with the keep shooting comments though, do not admire your shot until the critter is down for the count.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 02:19 PM

Just killed a moose yesterday with a 225 grain AB out of a 35 Whelen (2900 fps at the muzzle). First shot was frontal, slightly quartering at about 80 yards. Bullet entered in front of the left shoulder, recovered the bullet in the fat around the tenderloins... Don't have a scale to weigh it until I get home, feels pretty close to full, no less than 75% weight retention. Two follow up broad side shots to keep him from getting to a cliff and rolling downhill for a bit both exited. I think the Accubond will kill a Nilgai pretty dead.
Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 02:49 PM

Not a giant obviously, but after 4 days with no sightings of fur, you take what you can get. Warm temps (for Alberta) with clear nights and a full moon make for tough hunting.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 05:37 PM

I'd use it and not worry about it.

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Put it where it goes, keep shooting if it is still standing. Lots of folks worry the same about a Berger VLD. Everything I've shot with it died quickly with one round, including a bull elk at 200 yards. If you have the time and desire to work a load with the partition, go for it. If it will ease your mind. Personally I'd shoot the Accubond since you already have the rifle dialed in for it.

I thought you were a long range guy! bolt
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 05:46 PM

This was a good bull taken with the 175gr LR Accubond about a month ago.
28 Nosler

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 06:30 PM

So I'm supposed to pass on a gimme 200 yard shot? confused2
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Fitzwho
Just killed a moose yesterday with a 225 grain AB out of a 35 Whelen (2900 fps at the muzzle). First shot was frontal, slightly quartering at about 80 yards. Bullet entered in front of the left shoulder, recovered the bullet in the fat around the tenderloins... Don't have a scale to weigh it until I get home, feels pretty close to full, no less than 75% weight retention. Two follow up broad side shots to keep him from getting to a cliff and rolling downhill for a bit both exited. I think the Accubond will kill a Nilgai pretty dead.

If you don't mind my asking, I'd like to know how you're managing to wring 2900 fps out of your rifle.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Would you!? - 11/29/15 08:45 PM

I wouldn't be afaraid of either choice
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Would you!? - 11/30/15 12:18 AM

Like Flintknapper said, the are tough. Have that second shot ready quickly. I used 225gr. Hornady interlocks in a 338-06 AI. Running shot at about 175 yds, broadside. Entered the right shoulder and angled forward a bit into the brisket. It didn't exit the far side. I had to track it down and put one in the neck. That one didn't exit either but put it down for good.

Good luck on your hunt.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Would you!? - 11/30/15 05:44 PM

Be ready to put another round in if they go down, not just if they don't drop. Don't be afraid to put three in him. There's lots of meat there, don't worry about ruining some. If their hind leg is kicking while its down, its fixing to get up.

Re: Would you!? - 11/30/15 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
So I'm supposed to pass on a gimme 200 yard shot? confused2

Of course! Nah I'm just givin you crap. I'm sure you can shoot much smaller stuff at further distances than I can. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum