Texas Hunting Forum

What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads?

Posted By: TexasVine

What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/16/15 01:48 PM

Looking for opinions on different powders and powder quantity for 38 special loads for Cowboy Action shooting. I recently set up my new Dillion 550b and have have some Trail Boss powder. It appears to be hard to find so I'm looking for alternative powders. Also interested in the amount of powder folks are recommending for 38 special loads.

Thanks.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/16/15 02:10 PM

I'd suggest Red Dot, Bullseye, and others found at the top of the burn rate charts.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/16/15 03:18 PM

I use Unique for mine. But, like RiverRider stated, Red Dot, Bullseye and several others will work just as well. As for the amount (charge weight) of powder - pick up a couple of reloading manuals or just check some of the one's online for the powder(s) you have - Hodgden has one of the better online loading books.
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/16/15 10:54 PM

I like unique for lite loads for 41, 44,and, 45.
Get a good book or go on line every one has their pet loads.
I have used red and green dot with success. Every gun is different and my loading data may not work for yours.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/17/15 01:26 AM

Have used a lot of Hodgdon Clays for that purpose but that is another that is hard to find these days. Sure is clean burning though and consistent. Clays Universal also works.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/17/15 10:33 PM

4.7 gr of unique out of a 6" barrel with a 158 SWC should get you about 8-850 fps.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/18/15 02:46 AM

Thanks for the replies!
Posted By: boonee

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/18/15 03:29 AM

I have used Unique for years in 38,357,44-40,44,45, and several subsonic loads.
But I like Trail Boss the most! Unique is very dirty burning powder.
Posted By: Saddle Tramp

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/20/15 06:47 AM

I'm using 2.9 clays If you are in Lakeway and shoot Plum Creek or GMR you have probably seen or met a gunshop owner who has Clays right now Pm me for details.
What's your handle?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/21/15 01:02 AM

Titegroup or titewad.
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: What powders and how much for reloading 38 special Cowboy Action loads? - 11/27/15 03:38 PM

Green Dot and American Select are great powders for this application also.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum