Texas Hunting Forum

Range trip diagnosis

Posted By: Brother in-law

Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 01:16 AM

I'm just going to list the facts

- normal is dime size groups for the rifle to big bug hole
- overall round count is probably around 250 or less , never cleaned
- using a CDS dial, I'm now shooting 1/4" high (not a big deal to me)
- I shot at an indoor range
- I would have one perfect bull then two mostly high left, then I would go back to bull
- all said and done I'm probably 3/4" groups at 100. ( fine to kill a deer, but not tight as normal)
- I took a decent amount of time between shot so barrel didn't heat up

Is it me? Barrel needs to be clean? Need to tweak loads?

Will it rise 1/4 when the barrel gets seasoned and faster?
Posted By: 300_WizzM

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 01:45 AM

Could be a couple of the things you listed.
1. Mine needs to be cleaned about every 200 rounds.
2. Yes the barrel will sometimes speed up when broken in. Mine sped up about 20fps.

What I would do is clean and shoot again. If it tightens up that was it. If not keep eliminating variables one at a time till I figure it out.

Also check stock bolts and scope screws just to make sure all are properly torqued.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 01:56 AM

Clean it
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 01:59 AM

6mm or 6.5mm ? Either can speed up around that round count.

Clean it and reshoot. I bet it tightens up after it has been refouled. And I bet you will need a new zero.

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:01 AM

End the cleaning with dry parches until no discoloration is on the patch.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:02 AM

Here is my story, for the last Hunting Challenge I had my 7mm08 shooting great .25 moa so I was going to do fantastic. Weekend before I went out I changed from a two piece scope base to a one piece. I thought it really messed up the harmonics with my barrel because I was experiencing what you list above. Come to find out my barrel finally got to the point that it needed a cleaning, about 300 rounds. I cleaned the barrel and within 10 shots it was back to normal with groups of .25 to .375 moa consistently. Of course I did not figure it out until after the competition. LOL
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:08 AM

Im betting that you need to deep clean the barrel as you have gotten past the sweet spot in copper fouling.

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
6mm or 6.5mm ? Either can speed up around that round count.

Clean it and reshoot. I bet it tightens up after it has been refouled. And I bet you will need a new zero.

6.5 , I still haven't got the 6mm back

Everything is pretty tight but of course I'll check. I don't have time to clean and get to a range again before next week.

I was guessing a cleaning is due but I didn't know if the items I listed suggested something else. The groups don't suck enough I can't hunt it

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:35 AM

Leve it alone to hunt. Once you clean it, it will need to be re-fouled, and zero checked.

Hunt with it until you have time to go through the process. When are you going hunting? I could shoot it in the next few days?

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:39 AM

Next Friday. I could probably get it to you if you want to Richard with it. What's your schedule

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 01:59 PM

On duty Friday. Have off all week from this coming Saturday on. I roll right through McKinney on the way home from the station.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 02:48 PM

I've always said, clean it when accuracy falls off. You may have found that point. My previous 260 would go about 150 rounds before I noticed accuracy fall off.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Range trip diagnosis - 11/12/15 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I've always said, clean it when accuracy falls off. You may have found that point. My previous 260 would go about 150 rounds before I noticed accuracy fall off.

this
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum