Texas Hunting Forum

.300 blk subs

Posted By: krmitchell

.300 blk subs - 10/21/15 03:45 PM

Just out of curiosity, what do y'all think a .300 blk sub will do to a turkey? I'm planning on keeping my .300 blk in the blind with me during deer season (70-90 yrd) shots to ear hole hogs with if they show up. I'm shooting silencerco's harvester subs and I'm thinking it won't expand much on a turkey. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/25/15 08:53 AM

Bolt or semi?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 01:55 AM

A standard bullet will not expand at sub speeds. But, I do have a 200 grain Expanding subsonic hollow point bullet that is also a cold tracer round. The reports I am getting from customers is really good with this bullet. Quarter to larger exit wounds on yotes and pigs.

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
Bolt or semi?

Bolt

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
A standard bullet will not expand at sub speeds. But, I do have a 200 grain Expanding subsonic hollow point bullet that is also a cold tracer round. The reports I am getting from customers is really good with this bullet. Quarter to larger exit wounds on yotes and pigs.

I didn't realize you had those loaded up, are they on your website? I've been wanting to try them out.

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 02:34 PM

No, but I have the load I want to run for them. I need to add them to my site.

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 02:42 PM

No, but I have the load I want to run for them. I need to add them to my site.

Can you explain a little bit how the cold tracers work? I understand the concept that they won't start a fire but what makes them work then?

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 02:56 PM

Sure. The bottom of the bullet is painted with a paint that reacts to the heat from the gun powder. It basically glows for about .2 to .3 seconds. The normal military tracer rounds are coated on the bottom of the bullet with a phosphorous or sulfur based compound, like the head of a match stick. This can easily ignite brush for several seconds after firing. The bullet I am using is simply a thin layer of paint that can not cause a fire.

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 02:58 PM

Sure. The bottom of the bullet is painted with a paint that reacts to the heat from the gun powder. It basically glows for about .2 to .3 seconds. The normal military tracer rounds are coated on the bottom of the bullet with a phosphorous or sulfur based compound, like the head of a match stick. This can easily ignite brush for several seconds after firing. The bullet I am using is simply a thin layer of paint that can not cause a fire.

Sweet, after how dry it has been here, the recent wildfire in Bastrop, etc. I don't want to be the guy that burns the ranch down playing with those up

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/26/15 03:02 PM

Exactly!
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/30/15 06:15 AM

If youd like to ill share over phone or pm a great 100yd or less subsonic load that will hammer any thin skinned animal.for a bolt gun. Wont cycle in a semi or feed.
Posted By: 300_WizzM

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/31/15 06:59 PM

Jorge it says your over your pm limit. If you would pm me that load. Just picked me up a remington 700 sps 300 blkout. Going to be working up some subs and full power loads as soon as supplies come in:)
Posted By: DStroud

Re: .300 blk subs - 10/31/15 11:24 PM

I have shot turkeys with sub sonic 110gr .270 and it dumps them just fine and minimal meat damage.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum