Texas Hunting Forum

SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle

Posted By: sleeper16

SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 01:25 PM

I have been reloading for quite some time for pistols and revolvers.

Question #1....I have some .45 long colt with 200 grain lead SWC (Semi wad cutter) ammo loaded that I use in my revolver. I have just acquired a Henry Big Boy in .45 long colt and would like to use this ammo in it. I am concerned about having a round go off in the tubular magazine. I mostly see Round Nose Flat Point ammo being used in tubular fed magazines. Is it safe to use SWC ammo?

Thanks.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 02:08 PM

SWC is fine.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 02:44 PM

If the meplat is larger than the primer, then you're good.

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 02:49 PM

.45 Colt and .45 ACP are different cartridges entirely. Who told you that it was okay to shoot the ACP in a .45 Colt?

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 03:12 PM

No one told me I could use .45 ACP in the rifle. I was asking the question, can I. I just realized that the .45 ACP cartridge headspaces on the front of the brass so it will not work. I'll delete that question from the post.

Thanks

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 09:41 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as the Spanish Inquisition. In addition to the headspace issue, the extractor on your rifle is designed to work with a rimmed cartridge, so even if you could fire the round, it would promptly jam the rifle.

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/20/15 11:32 PM

No problem. After your comments I gave it some thought and realized the big differences between the non-rimmed .45 ACP and the rimmed .45 colt.

I should have thought that out and not asked the question. Thanks for your response.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: SWC ammo in a tubular magazine rifle - 10/21/15 04:28 AM

You can shoot swc.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum