Texas Hunting Forum

Forester ultra seater consistency

Posted By: fast88

Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/11/15 05:37 PM

So I finally bit the bullet and invested in a higher dollar seater for my 300 win after my hornady seater started to damage my brass (not lining up the bullet correctly).

I loaded up 25 rounds today and was not impressed with the consistency in seating depth the forester provided when loading 210 vlds. I had to adjust on every round to maintain my overall length. I followed the instructions setting the die up. Maybe I'm doing something I shouldnt? Anyone had this experience with a forester before?

Thanks
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/11/15 07:17 PM

Is the seater indexing on the bullet tip or ogive?

Generally, if you are seating to the ogive, your OAL to the tip may be different from round to round. If you are adjusting on each seating sequence, the ogive will be at a different depth throwing off the distance from the ogive to the lands for each round. Not ideal for shot to shot consistency.

JMO. cheers
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/16/15 02:06 PM

What TTH says. Also, to evaluate OAL for consistency you really do need to be using a comparator if you are not using one already.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/16/15 03:05 PM

On a HP bullet, the tips will be different causing a different length. I've seen as much as .015" difference in the SMK and VLD's in the tips. If you measure on the ogive, like stated above, you should see a consistent seating depth. You can not measure the tip of the bullet on a HP because of the varying lengths on the tip. I still use the Hornady FL die set often, and it will perform very well with the 208 seating stem. I run the Redding comp seater on everything else.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/16/15 03:44 PM

What all of the above said!

Only way to seat to COAL consistently is to measure the ogive dimensions for each bullet and sort them.
Posted By: fast88

Re: Forester ultra seater consistency - 10/18/15 02:11 AM

10-4 I bought the tool and it fixed the issue and the die is right on the money. The loads Shot great. Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum