Texas Hunting Forum

Play toy for the year

Posted By: redchevy

Play toy for the year - 09/24/15 02:02 PM

405 Grain cast lead w/gas check over a lightly compressed charge of Benchmark... will see how it works, hopefully will be bad medicine for some hogs and deer. grin

Posted By: ckat

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/24/15 02:43 PM

Nice! What rifle? Also, need a range report when you can. Did you cast them, or buy them?

I know one thing, your Partitions are crying themselves to sleep after seeing you cheat on them... grin

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/24/15 03:08 PM

Marlin, forget which model exactly, its my brothers rifle.

Hopefully will get to test them out next weekend, load a few up and see how they shoot. My partitions may feel a little geglect. Due to getting some free bullets I have been shooting prohunters and some hornady interlocks in my 243 also, however when those are out im sure a 100 grain NP will fill their shoes for my hunting purposes and you can bet on that up

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/24/15 03:09 PM

Oh and no I didn't cast them, they are from Midway.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/25/15 01:33 AM

45-70?
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/25/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
405 Grain cast lead w/gas check over a lightly compressed charge of Benchmark... will see how it works, hopefully will be bad medicine for some hogs and deer. grin

Those should pretty much quarter the critter before it hits the ground! woot

No tracking needed, but maybe a broom and dustpan instead. wink

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/25/15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
45-70?

Yep

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Those should pretty much quarter the critter before it hits the ground! woot

No tracking needed, but maybe a broom and dustpan instead. wink

I shot a hog a few months ago with it and some federal 300 grain factory loads at about 15 yards. The destruction was much less than I would have expected. We have shot a few hogs with the federal 300 grainers at anywhere from 15-50 yards and have yet to have an exit. Im quite confident these will go through and through with relatively little destruction. Despite their weight, they will only be moving around 1800 fps, not really fast enough to tear too much up.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/25/15 05:36 PM

405's at 1800?? Holy crap, that's gonna hurt you and your target.

Re: Play toy for the year - 09/25/15 06:13 PM

We shot factory loads of:

300 grain @ 1850 fps
325 grain @ 2050 fps
405 grain @ 1330 fps

The factory 405's were very mild, the 300's weren't too bad, the 325's were the worst but not to unbearable. I hope these wont be to bad. I would slow them down a dad more, but we were unable to get the factory 405's on paper at 50 yards because they dropped too much, not enough adj. in the ramp sight, so I loaded them a little hotter to hope they will hit good. If I can slow them down a touch more I will. I put two shots into a boar from the stand and I don't even remember a kick, but not its not like shooting a sweet little 243 on the bench.

Re: Play toy for the year - 10/05/15 02:56 PM

Well we shot a few of these this weekend. Shot off the top of a fence post at about 50 yards. Target was about a 2 inch red circle on a cardboard box. Brother shot the first one I shot the second... results, our shots were a 1/2 inch apart in the top right quadrant of the 2" bullseye, good enough for us.

Oh yeah and poisonivie was correct, they rumble a little... well maybe a little is an understatement!
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Play toy for the year - 10/06/15 12:33 AM

Cast your own and they likely will do better. Store bought cast are usually really hard. I just sold the mold you need. Dang.

Re: Play toy for the year - 10/06/15 12:26 PM

Maybe when im old ill cast my own. I have always wanted to, but I have enough hobbies that may or may not be hazardous to my health, im not gonna start casting lead quite yet. It does seem neat though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum