Texas Hunting Forum

Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help

Posted By: EasyMoney

Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 02:45 PM

My pa gave me his old 6mm and he only has 5-10 rounds left. He told me they are 100 grain but he didn't reload them him self. If someone could please help me out I want to keep bullets around for this gun to let my kids shoot it and use it for deer.
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 04:00 PM

If you have reloading equipment I might suggest taking the bullet out and measure how much powder is in it.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 04:22 PM

I say if you don't know/trust who reloaded them, then pull them down, reuse the brass, dump the powder in the grass, and come up with your own load. Assuming it is a 6mm Remington and you don't reload, there are several factory loads still available. Find one it likes and stock up.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775
If you have reloading equipment I might suggest taking the bullet out and measure how much powder is in it.

That won't tell you much. There is so much overlap between powders...
Posted By: postoak

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 05:08 PM

Need help how? You haven't asked a question. I would use those loads to get familiar with the firearm, and make sure it is somewhat close to the bulls-eye and then go buy a box of ammo and finish sighting in. Or do you reload and are asking for load information?
Posted By: boonee

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 05:10 PM

Go buy a box of factory ammo in 100 grain and hang on to those he gave you.

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 05:53 PM

Sorry I was in the middle of something when I made this post I didn't get all the info out. I've personally used this gun and the rounds he had to shoot deer bout 10 years ago. I was trying to find out if there was anyone out there that could help me find out the load and the weight I think they are 100 grain. I don't reload at all I pay a guy to reload my 300 mag but that's all. He doesn't want to mess with the 6mm. If someone could possibly break one down and get the load I'd pay em to load me some if they have the equipment. If it's not going to happen then I'm open to alternative solutions
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 06:05 PM

I can load any centerfire round out there. But, it could be challenging to know what exact powder was used for this ammo. I could take a look at it, and see. I can pull a bullet and inspect the powder. But, it's not 100% sure what was used. Sometimes you can see it was a certain powder, and sometimes not.

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 06:19 PM

Where are you located? I'd love to get it close as what he used but I understand it be hard to get it exact.

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/21/15 06:23 PM

Lewisville, TX

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/22/15 01:11 AM

To duplicate the load, you need someone who can pull a bullet to get the weight and someone with a chronograph to see the velocity you are getting. You don't need to know the actual powder used.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/22/15 03:29 AM

Lots of advice. Some makes sense, some is weird.

NEVER DUMP POWDER IN THE GRASS.

Keep it for other uses besides loading (unless you know what powder it is).

Too many variables to decipher the loads left over.

Keep those as suggested above, they can't be replaced.

Buy a manual and read a lot about reloading, get some dies and a used press. Learn to reload, start a new trend with this gun. You only have one chance to learn something new.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/22/15 03:38 AM

Can you post a picture of one of the bullets?

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/22/15 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: GasGuzzler
NEVER DUMP POWDER IN THE GRASS.

What! I have some of the greenest grass in the areas I dump my random powder. I always have a lot of powder that spills during loading, and some that is from pulled factory ammo, and random old powders. It does well as a fertilizer.

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/22/15 04:32 PM

Yeah, and what other uses does it have besides loading or fertilizer?

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/23/15 02:57 AM

It's good for fertilizer but it seems keeping floor sweepings for some un-thought-of use makes sense as well.

Besides, "dumping" powder in the grass sounds like a heap.....if you want green grass, spread it. Don't dump it. grin
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/23/15 03:09 AM

I wonder how much old, swept up mixed mystery powder it would take to blow a stump out of the ground?

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/23/15 04:54 PM

Yes, it is spread out. The guy who works for me says I'm boring for using the excessive powder for the yard. He wants to blow it up!!

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/24/15 01:32 AM

I don't have a way of posting pics right now. I'm going to try to take a round to chad and see what he can do. If not I'll just get something else worked up and see how it works. Just trying to keep it the same way he had it

Re: Inherited a gun that has some custom loads need help - 09/24/15 03:08 AM

Good ideas. Please report back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum