Texas Hunting Forum

Different Brass and Sight Change?

Posted By: Armalite260

Different Brass and Sight Change? - 09/16/15 03:50 PM

Question for the experts. Can different brass cause a noticeable point of impact? I've been using Remington brass in my 260 and changed last week to Lapua. The point of impact for the exact same load was a half in high, half inch left. I had a 4 shot group I could cover with a nickel so it wasn't me. Learn something new every day..
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Different Brass and Sight Change? - 09/16/15 05:47 PM

Yes. Specifically for the 260 Rem round, Lapua brass is heavier and a little thicker than the Rem brass, which will decrease the internal case capacity, and raise your pressures. So, you have to reduce your load to accommodate this difference in case volume. Plus, the Lapua brass has thicker necks, and has more neck tension on the bullet. Both of these items will increase your pressure when shooting Lapua brass with the Remington brass load. It still may shoot fine, but it will increase your pressures, which will increase your speed. You have picked up probably 40-50 fps or more with the Lapua brass now, when running the Rem brass load. So, just watch for pressure signs, and back your load down if you need to.

Also, as you increase your pressures and speed, the POI usually goes up as you increase your load. So the POI shift up is normal.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Different Brass and Sight Change? - 09/16/15 08:45 PM

Chad, I cannot thank you enough for the information. I did back my load back by one full grain. I do not see any pressure issues like blown out primers, flattened or pierced primers, or more noticeable recoil. As far as that goes it appears fine. I was just scratching my head as to why the POI would go up by only changing brass.. Makes sense. Thank you again.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Different Brass and Sight Change? - 09/16/15 09:25 PM

You are very welcome!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum