Texas Hunting Forum

reloading class?

Posted By: Dien

reloading class? - 08/12/15 07:52 PM

Any reloading classes around anymore? Cabela's doesn't seem to offer them anymore.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: reloading class? - 08/12/15 07:59 PM

Fort Worth Cabela's has reloading scheduled for 2pm this Sunday.

http://www.cabelas.com/stores/store_info.jsp?pageName=011

Re: reloading class? - 08/12/15 08:12 PM

Nice, swore I looked last month and didn't see anything.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: reloading class? - 08/12/15 11:36 PM

If you want a good class check out ntrp

http://www.northtexasrifleprecision.com

I did his class. It's a bit pricey but is thorough. It's 1.5 days and includes loading and range time.

Highly recommend
Posted By: maximum

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:04 AM

no experienced loader in your
area that will show you the basics
without taking money from you ?

what a damn shame. . .
Posted By: Cleric

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: maximum

what a damn shame. . .

I see more and more people not wanting to do this because of liability....I knew a guy who used to, but stopped because of potential law suits
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:15 AM

YouTube have some basic
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
If you want a good class check out ntrp

http://www.northtexasrifleprecision.com

I did his class. It's a bit pricey but is thorough. It's 1.5 days and includes loading and range time.

Highly recommend

up
Posted By: DStroud

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Originally Posted By: maximum

what a damn shame. . .

I see more and more people not wanting to do this because of liability....I knew a guy who used to, but stopped because of potential law suits

That seems to me a cop out. I cannot imagine if you let someone reload ammo with you observing that they could have much chance of winning.... Maybe I am wrong but if so its really a sad state we are in.
Next thing you know you won't be able to teach someone how to ride a bike.

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:04 PM

I've watched plenty of videos. Have just about all the equipment or is on the way: press, trimmer, tumbler, dies, gauges and powder dispenser etc.

I understand OAL vs base to ogive. I have already measured ogive and can seat according to that measurement.

Just wanted to be aware of any particular safety concerns. Maybe something so basic the guys writing how to articles and making videos leave out because they assume people know.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 02:19 PM

I'd be happy to help if you'd like to drive to Melissa.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien
I've watched plenty of videos. Have just about all the equipment or is on the way: press, trimmer, tumbler, dies, gauges and powder dispenser etc.

I understand OAL vs base to ogive. I have already measured ogive and can seat according to that measurement.

Just wanted to be aware of any particular safety concerns. Maybe something so basic the guys writing how to articles and making videos leave out because they assume people know.

if you read Speer, Hornady, Nosler Reloading Manuals you will be proficient enough

if you have specific questions buy me a round of wings and beer at Hooters/ Twin Peaks
I'd be happy to answer
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: reloading class? - 08/14/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

if you read Speer, Hornady, Nosler Reloading Manuals you will be proficient enough

if you have specific questions buy me a round of wings and beer at Hooters/ Twin Peaks
I'd be happy to answer

The first 10 chapters of the Lee loading manual is a great resource for basic reloading and safety. They push their products here and there, of course, but the basic information is all there and well explained.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: reloading class? - 08/15/15 03:01 AM

Forget the load data until the method is down. Then pick the load data you trust. Some vary wildly. That's the fun part.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: reloading class? - 08/15/15 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

I'd be happy to answer

The first 10 chapters of the Lee loading manual is a great resource for basic reloading and safety. They push their products here and there, of course, but the basic information is all there and well explained.

Yup
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: reloading class? - 08/21/15 02:33 AM

Buy the ABC's of Reloading, read it from front to back then read it again.

I bought a cheap Lee single stage press and taught myself with trial and error. Then a few years ago I bought a Hornady Lock N Load press.
I now reload about a dozen different calibers.
Guys on the reloading page on The High Road gun forum were a valuable tool of experience for me.

Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself.....it's not rocket science.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: reloading class? - 08/23/15 07:54 AM

[/quote]

That seems to me a cop out. I cannot imagine if you let someone reload ammo with you observing that they could have much chance of winning.... [/quote]

A jack leg doesn't have to win a lawsuit against you to cost you a ton of money and time. And every lawsuit I have been a party to the lawyers allways ask for reimbursement of legal fees, you never get it. So you are out a ton of time and legal fees and nothing you can do about it. Sucks
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: reloading class? - 08/28/15 12:23 PM

Any reloading classes around anymore? Cabela's doesn't seem to offer them anymore.

Do you have any friends or forum members in your area that reload. If so ask if you can look over their shoulder next time they load a batch.

In the past personally, I have been more than happy to teach. It is just as good for me as it is for them. I find that explaining things forces me to focus and be able to verbalize the most minute detail, and that makes me a better handloader.

Posted By: TomPr

Re: reloading class? - 09/01/15 10:46 PM

This is a good DVD on reloading basics to get started.

http://www.amazon.com/RCBS-99910-Precisi...R2Z4FHTFVHADKQ4
Posted By: mreed

Re: reloading class? - 09/01/15 11:59 PM

I lurked around and read everything in this section I could, then found a bunch of online resources, then read my manual, then had a buddy walk me through the process while he was reloading, then watched some YouTube videos (by the way be careful here there is just as much crap advice as there is good advice). After all of that I finally felt confident enough to reload 5 cartridges with minimum loads and go shoot those, and when I didn't blow my face off I felt confident enough to actually try to work up a load for my rifle. In the end I am extremely happy I took the time and did the research

Re: reloading class? - 09/02/15 12:34 AM

Better safe than sorry. A mentor or at least a trusted acquaintance is better than YouTube in most cases but you can figure out pretty quickly what not to do with online videos if you've done the research (online like we did P1s)....
Posted By: DStroud

Re: reloading class? - 09/02/15 01:47 AM

I have noticed over the past few years that it does seem folks are overly concerned about making catastrophic errors in reloading. While not trying to downplay the fact you need to pay attention and understand the basics it's not really that much to it.
It may be the fact that nowadays everyone wants instantly to have all the info and is not willing take time to sit down and read and comprehend before jumping out there and start cranking out rounds.

But when I think back on the guys who were doing this a long time ago it's kinda funny. Some were grinding up surplus 20mm cannon powder and loading ammo and here is what some of the data they had back then looked like.

Re: reloading class? - 09/02/15 02:45 AM

Thanks.

It's not that hard, only important. These are not mutually exclusive adjectives.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: reloading class? - 09/02/15 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: parisite
Buy the ABC's of Reloading, read it from front to back then read it again.

I bought a cheap Lee single stage press and taught myself with trial and error. Then a few years ago I bought a Hornady Lock N Load press.
I now reload about a dozen different calibers.
Guys on the reloading page on The High Road gun forum were a valuable tool of experience for me.

Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself.....it's not rocket science.

Exactly my story. I started 6 years ago with the ABCs of reloading, a Lee Reloading manual & Lee equipment. I still use mostly Lee equipment. It just works fine so I never felt the need to replace it. I reload for 10 cartridges now. You'll find you shoot more when you reload because it's cheaper and you are always tinkering.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: reloading class? - 09/07/15 02:47 PM

How many of you actually had a friend that knew enough about reloading to teach you, when you got started? I would imagine most people who reload probably only reload for one or two cartridges. They probably read a whole lot about loading other cartridges when learning, but the only lessons and recipes that stick are the ones you use. Just throwing that out there, because I don't have any buddies that reload. I am sure that if I did, they'd be willing to show me a thing or two. There are dudes on this forum I've never met, who have given me some advice already. I don't think liability is the problem!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: reloading class? - 09/07/15 03:18 PM

I had the good fortune of a cousin that showed me the ropes of reloading when I got started and we reloaded together off and on for years. If I have kept up with it right have loaded for 46 different rounds between shotgun, rifle and handgun. For some guns I take the time and effort to load for precision while others bang/bang range ammo is good to go.

There are lots of reloaders that do exactly what Regular Guy posted and I know a good many that fall into that group. Know some that have only loaded one load for one or two cartridges for years, without worrying about COAL, concentricity.... as long as those loads kill their deer every year they are happy.

Remember free advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it.

The Sticky at the top of this section has some good information for new and experienced reloaders alike. The Tips and tricks thread has some good tricks you will not find in a manual.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: reloading class? - 09/07/15 06:49 PM

To the OP, I think you have seen good recommendations for a class (NTRP) and FiremanJG also expressed willingness to help. A buddy of mine and I learned on our own 30 years ago and I am just now getting back into it to tune long range loads. IMHO, having someone that knows their stuff (NTRP or FiremanJG) is invaluable and will help you come up the learning curve very quickly plus they will likely be able to teach you a few things not easily learned in a large group or on-line. Their time is worth the money and I would highly recommend this route since you don't already have a buddy that can show you the ropes. PM them and see where it takes you.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: reloading class? - 09/07/15 07:17 PM

I would be willing to bet, there are a good number of experienced people that go to classes like these as well. Maybe learn a new trick or something, there's always somebody that knows something that you don't.

Re: reloading class? - 09/07/15 11:32 PM

Good point. Long distance friends and experiments taught me the little I know.

Re: reloading class? - 09/08/15 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
To the OP, I think you have seen good recommendations for a class (NTRP) and FiremanJG also expressed willingness to help. A buddy of mine and I learned on our own 30 years ago and I am just now getting back into it to tune long range loads. IMHO, having someone that knows their stuff (NTRP or FiremanJG) is invaluable and will help you come up the learning curve very quickly plus they will likely be able to teach you a few things not easily learned in a large group or on-line. Their time is worth the money and I would highly recommend this route since you don't already have a buddy that can show you the ropes. PM them and see where it takes you.

Thanks Tim.

OP contacted me a couple of weeks ago. We tried to get our shcedules lined up and were back and forth communicating. It all stopped and I am left wondering what happened. I hope he is Ok.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: reloading class? - 09/08/15 02:08 PM

He's probably just thinking about it, Jason. If people will do an honest ROI analysis, they will quickly see the benefits outweigh the perceived costs.

I've got my reloading room 90% set up. Once I get some mobility returned after my recent back surgery, I will get the process going again and will ping you on those small details and techniques.

Re: reloading class? - 09/08/15 02:43 PM

I'll be glad to help.

Re: reloading class? - 09/26/15 02:48 AM

Finally got to see Jason and get an overview of the reloading process. Gives me a big chunk of piece of mind to confirm the steps in person. Apparently I'm kind of overdoing some of it. Saved me some time and extra work.

Went ahead and had him help me better my technique and he guided me out to 800 yards with my hand loads for 300WM and my 308 with FGMM. He wrote my dope down as I shot so I can use it later on which was nice. I never shot past 200 before this and he makes it easy.

It probably helped that I like FFP Mil/Mil scopes like him.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum