Texas Hunting Forum

I need a mentor in DFW..

Posted By: T Bone

I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/12/15 07:23 PM

Been kicking the idea of reloading around for the past few years and I've finally decided to throw myself in it & see where it goes.. I'm the type that learns much easier by doing than reading so I'd like to see if anyone near Euless/Grapevine might consider having me look over your shoulder & ask questions the next time you're at the bench.. I'll do any busy work/prep work you might have or bring your beverage of choice (and no, you're not getting a bottle of Pappy!) I'm not an idiot, fool or have annoying stories that always seem to top yours.. Just looking for an experienced reloader to help get me pointed in the right direction..

Thanks guys..
Posted By: 603Country

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/12/15 07:59 PM

Well, if you don't find anyone close, I'm 100 miles south of the Dallas city limits, near Groesbeck. I'd be more than happy to show you the ropes. If you have a bolt 223, I have all the stuff. You wouldn't need to bring anything other than the scoped rifle.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/13/15 02:01 AM

If you want to drive to Melissa I'd be glad to show you the ropes. Take an hour or more, and you'll have it down.

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/13/15 07:09 PM

Very generous offers guys! If I don't find anyone closer then I'll be in touch..
Posted By: thecytochromec

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/13/15 07:28 PM

I'm in cedar hill and use a single stage press. Calibers I load : .45 ACP and colt .357 mag, 25-06. 300 WSM

Truth is, you'll always need a mentor. Reloading is the pursuit of perfection.
Posted By: Gemlin

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/13/15 09:34 PM

Get on YouTube and search for Gavintoobe or ultimate reloader .

You'll find a lot of useful information
Posted By: Judd

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/13/15 10:14 PM

I'm on the otherside of DFW (Melissa would probably be closer using 121) from you but if you don't have annoying stories than forget it grin

I also am going to be more extreme on some things and not on others than the guys above.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/15/15 12:52 AM

I am in lavon if your ever in this area.

Walter

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/15/15 01:37 AM

Appreciate everyone's responses & those that have PM'd.. Have a few guys close to me that have offered their services so I think I'm in business!

Thanks again to all..

Originally Posted By: Gemlin
Get on YouTube and search for Gavintoobe or ultimate reloader .

You'll find a lot of useful information

Did this for a while tonight.. Good stuff, thanks for tips..
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/15/15 02:31 PM

It isn't hard at all and you will definitely enjoy it. I taught myself when I was fifteen. That was waaaaay before the internet came along too.
Posted By: Simmer down

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/25/15 11:41 PM

Having someone there will speed up the learning although double loads are quite a lesson that a person can teach themselves about.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: I need a mentor in DFW.. - 05/27/15 08:03 PM

Getting a mentor is a good idea. I bought brass off a guy on here. I drove over to his place and he took 2 hours to show me the ins and outs of reloading. Probably would have only taken 1 hour but we were carrying on and talking about other stuff too. He gave me a Lee powder dispenser, very kind of him.

Wish I remembered his name, should have wrote it down...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum