Texas Hunting Forum

Where to setup reloading shop?

Posted By: RCINTX

Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 04:54 PM

THF Experts,

I currently do not reload, but am getting close to taking the plunge. I have been researching, reading, and repeating that process for about a year now but have not been confident enough to act. My cousin, who is an avid reloader, is moving next month to within a couple of hours of me and is excited to teach me the ins and outs, so I think I may finally get started.

My question is, where should I setup shop in my house? Are there any heat/humidity/safety issues that I should keep in mind? I have a separate shop that has a corner that would be perfect for a reloading setup, but the shop is uninsulated and the the environment is not controlled at all. My second option would be in the basement. I have plenty of room there, but worry if the humidity could cause issues? I could possibly find room in the garage, but am not sure that would be any different than the shop.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 05:07 PM

Humidity drives me crazy. It's not the existence of it but when it varies dramatically with the heat or AC cycling. It wreaks havoc on my scales. I don't know that any constant humidity will hurt anything. Just keep your powder sealed and take care of your equipment.

To keep the humidity from cycling I usually turn the air off. Or set the thermostat where it will not cycle off. They also sell dehumidifiers that work pretty good.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 05:14 PM

I like to keep mine in a climate controlled area, aka in the house.

Before I had my press dies etc in the garage and kept my scale powder and primers inside, but prefer all to be kept inside.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 05:17 PM

I would definitely choose the most controlled environment available. If I had to use my garage I would probably only reload about four months out of the year. Unacceptable!
Posted By: red bluff

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 05:27 PM

There are always safety issues to consider. Lockup your powder and primers to keep them away from people if others live in your home. You don't need any help from the kids mixing stuff. Years ago when I lived in Lubbock the humidity was not an issue. so I'd probably be in the basement.
Posted By: bobsumner

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 05:37 PM

I am a garage type of guy, reloading does not match my indoor decor. grin
Posted By: Rocklock

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 08:26 PM

I've had seperate rooms off the garage climate controlled. After moving 9 years ago now just in the garage. No problems so far.
TC
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 09:55 PM

I have a "Hobby Room" where I do all of mine. It's a small 4th bedroom and is perfect for my needs.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 10:28 PM

In Texas? Inside!

I'll take a small desk in the corner of my bedroom before I'll suffer out in the hot garage. You really can keep your setup small.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/12/15 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bobsumner
I am a garage type of guy, reloading does not match my indoor decor. grin

My equipment was the first thing set up in this house. All the decor had to be matched to IT.

coach
Posted By: GLC

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/13/15 12:56 AM

Spare bed room, aka man cave.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/13/15 01:58 AM

My equipment and supplies are set up in an insulated steel structure that is not climate controlled 24/7. I have a light layer of rust on many of my dies bang Primers are in an ammo can, powder is in its' jugs and some is inside a filing cabinet.

It is not ideal, but I can make precision ammo all year. If available I would pick the most dehumidified, climate controlled environment I could.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/13/15 02:59 AM

In Lubbock I would not hesitate to use the basement. As mentioned, you can always add a dehumidifier if needed but can't imagine that would be needed often in Lubbock.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/13/15 05:34 PM

I took over the spare bedroom and still would like a bigger layout. I don't want to be loading in the garage dripping sweat all over my stuff.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/13/15 09:24 PM

In a securable location and no air movement when using a powder scale. Plenty of light is always nice.
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/14/15 02:29 AM

I have a small reloading room off the garage. I put a window unit A/C in the wall and I have a propane tank with heating element in there. I only turn them on when I'm in there for a while.......no problems.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/14/15 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Spare bed room, aka man cave.

+1.
Posted By: RCINTX

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/14/15 05:17 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I would like to keep my setup small at this point as I only intend to reload for a few calibers. I'll start doing a little measuring and see what will work. I think you guys are right about being indoors. That will allow me to use it year round and not make the "its too hot/cold" excuse.

Maybe I should just insulate, heat/cool the shop? It is also attached to my covered cooking area and really is the "man-cave". I'll run that by the wife!

clap
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/15/15 12:23 AM

If you go with the shop, I got a heat/ac unit combo like in some motels. Works fine, I just turn it off when using scale.
Posted By: Reloader-7

Re: Where to setup reloading shop? - 05/15/15 08:11 PM

You have basements in Lubbock??? smile

I have a 10'x 12' portable building. It is secure and I can heat and cool it when I am loading. You want a location that you can secure and others will not be mixing/moving your components and tools.

Try to get a space large enough that you can operate comfortably, and plan for the future. You may start with one or two calibers, but (if you are like most of us) will soon enlarge your number of calibers and your stock of powder, primers, bullets, cases, tools and equipment. The corner or small table that you start with will soon not be enough. Plan for growth. And you can never have too much shelf space or storage bins. Leave room for them.

Humidity has not been a problem as I don't have powder open unless I am using it so it is not exposed to humidity for any length of time.

I have never had a problem with primers due to humidity. I've got primers that were given to me years ago that have been stored in a garage and are stored in my shop now. They fire as reliably as the new ones.

Welcome to the addiction. If you are accuracy and/or detail oriented, I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum