Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody ever swage Jacketed Bullets?

Posted By: ASIC777

Anybody ever swage Jacketed Bullets? - 04/28/15 03:05 AM

OK, so this is the reloading forum. Many years back I ran some .311 ( 32 cal ) 71 grain bullets in a Ruger.30 carbine pistol. Read about it in a gun mag at the time. Theory was the forcing cone would swage the bullets before they entered the barrel, and the jackets on these bullets are pretty soft to begin with. Worked well, insane velocity and not much recoil recoil as I recall! Cant remember the recipe but noted there is a 60 grain XTP ( .311 dia) and Speer Gold Dot that might be fun to play with. Rather not get too carried away experimenting so the questions is, anybody ever swage a jacketed bullet down 3/1000's? Lee makes a swaging die in .308 so a little lube and good to go? Dont really expect too much bullet deformation and I would not expect to have jacket/core separation issues. Might be fun in a .30 carbine rifle ( there is no forcing cone) but the velocity might be a bit high for these "pistol" bullets. Thoughts?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anybody ever swage Jacketed Bullets? - 04/28/15 03:25 AM

Haven't done it but the Gold Dot bullets the jacket is bonded "electroplated" to the core so no separation with them.
Posted By: rjd

Re: Anybody ever swage Jacketed Bullets? - 04/28/15 03:42 AM

Had a set up to swage .410 bullets to .401 for an old Herter's revolver. Worked fine. You should be GTG.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum