Texas Hunting Forum

range day

Posted By: red bluff

range day - 04/10/15 01:26 AM

I finally made it to the range to test some loads.
Rem 700 22-250 off the shelf
trigger set at 3 lb 12 oz. I think it needs to be 2 or 2.5
Primer- Federal Match
bullet- 55 gr. Soft Point flat base
Powder- H-380
Groups F- fouling shots, Group G - just killing time with 223

A= 36.4 gr
B= 36.8 gr
C= 37.2 gr
D= 37.6 gr
E= 38.0 gr

The book said to keep this bullet below 3500 fps. I didn't use a chronograph
but the book states 37.8 gr was 3400 fps so I stayed close to that.

Groups were fired round robin, and I guess I got tired or just couldn't stand to have nice groups cuz the last round
had some flyers they are marked in red.

My question is where would you go from here?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: range day - 04/10/15 02:04 AM

Your target shows a very typical load work up from looking at the groups. Take each load 1 at a time. A was not bad, but but a little open. B strung the groups side to side. This stinging tells me you are about to approach an accuracy node. Load C tightens up and looks good. Load D tightens up even more, with a flier. Load E opens up telling me we have passed the accuracy node. Your accuracy node for this rifle with this combination of components is somewhere in the C and D loads. I'd play around with some more loads in that area. Overall a great target example of a common load work up. Very nice!!!

Re: range day - 04/10/15 02:07 AM

Also, I wouldn't fire them round robin style. Fire all of them one load together, then the next load up. When you shoot 1 group of 4-5 rounds, stay on the rifle the entire time- cheek on the stock and butt in the shoulder for the entire 4-5 rounds.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: range day - 04/10/15 02:11 AM

As Chad said, from "C" to "D".

This is one of the easier ones to read.

Re: range day - 04/10/15 02:59 AM

C and D is what I was hoping you would say. I plan to get the trigger worked on and then
load in 2 grain increments before and after C and D.
I have had this gun about 3 years and am finally getting something worth while it has
about 200 rounds down the tube.
Thanks for the reviews/help.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: range day - 04/10/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
As Chad said, from "C" to "D".

This is one of the easier ones to read.

Exactly. Looking good so far. up
Posted By: Furb

Re: range day - 04/10/15 03:45 PM

So to not totally highjack Red Bluff's thread here (and now I'm high jacking it)

I have two rifles that shot a group very similair to group B, I was loaded to max recommended amount by Hodgdon's website

One was a 280 R700 using 120TTSX over 50Gr Varget
Other was R700 AAC-SD 308 using 178 Amax over 45Gr Varget (Suppressed)

Should I lower the charge weight by .2Gr to see if it tightens or increase by .2Gr to see if it tightens while looking for pressure signs.

Again, sorry Red Bluff.

Re: range day - 04/10/15 04:08 PM

Horizontal stringing can be several things, depending on what you are shooting and how you are shooting it.

1- for load testing, it tells me I am approaching an accuracy node. So I know I need to be on my game for the next 2 higher loads.

2- It can be trigger control, recoil inconsistencies- If you are not pulling the trigger perfectly straight back consistently each and every time, you will get stringing. If you are not perfectly behind the rifle and it is jumping to one side, it can throw your shots sideways.

Also, if you are using an unbedded factory rifle and using a bipod, any barrel contact with the stock under recoil will cause pressure points to randomly throw your shots off. They won't string, but groups will open way up.

The Hodgdon data online I use as a reference. It will get you in the ball park, and they are generally conservative on their max powder charges. I find most rifles will shoot best at max or just beyond book max for the upper accuracy node.

On your AAC-308 load, 45 grains of Varget is a max load with a 178, especially suppressed. So, I would not go higher. I'd work it a little lower. Also, it depends on which brass you are using for case volume. LC military brass is thicker with less case volume and will need less powder by about 1 to 1.5 grains less than book max.

Re: range day - 04/10/15 04:09 PM

ferb I would lower it by 2 and try that. I'm not comfortable with going over book value, but alot of guys do.
I would probably switch powder, maybe just a slightly slower burn rate than Varget. Lots of options keep reloading
fun.
Posted By: Furb

Re: range day - 04/10/15 04:44 PM

Yeah, on my 308, I was running max load BLC(2) and had a group like your C, just about .5" more spread, ill play with both for that one, but on the 280, Varget blew my others away for grouping and velocities. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Re: range day - 04/10/15 04:54 PM

Ferb- I just realized I bought a scope from you at Gordon awhile back. I still haven't mounted that scope yet.
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: range day - 04/10/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: red bluff
ferb I would lower it by 2 and try that. I'm not comfortable with going over book value, but alot of guys do.
I would probably switch powder, maybe just a slightly slower burn rate than Varget. Lots of options keep reloading
fun.

My sons guns likes varget, after quite a few tests he got his best groups.

That's my suggestion.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum