Texas Hunting Forum

New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies.

Posted By: J.G.

New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/24/15 10:58 PM

Got the press mounted yesterday. As soon as I got it mounted I thought about how to get all those dies out of their boxes and out of the drawer they're in. Shelf for the boxes? Nah. Shelf for the dies? Yup. What to make it out of????? Wood? Steel? Aluminum! That's what I'll do! That'll look cool.

I used a 1" hole saw on the drill press, on 1 3/8" centers to make the holes for the dies to easily slip in and out of. I'm already enjoying the new set-up and havn't even used it yet.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/24/15 11:12 PM

Very cool!!! But everything is on the wrong side (left handed)!!
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/24/15 11:20 PM

I want the Forster press... I have almost bought one a few times...

Nice set up
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/24/15 11:34 PM

They aren't cheap, but they'll never be more affordable than right now.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 03:11 AM

Glad I'm not the only one on here with ADD

Nice set up JG
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 03:21 AM

Two questions:

1) What is the "tool" at the right end of the die rack?
b) Is that the beginnings of bird nest on top, back of the wire shelving (left of bench)??

Nice rifle and reloading equipment.

Cheers - Mickey
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 03:31 AM

Looks like a grip-n-pull for pulling bullets. The way to go if you ask me

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 03:47 AM

Yes it is, havn't used it yet. Got that advice from this forum, thank you Riverrider.

That's not a nest, that's dry kindling.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Yes it is, havn't used it yet. Got that advice from this forum, thank you Riverrider.

That's not a nest, that's dry kindling.

The grip-n-pull looks very functional.

Pro-tip: don't burn the kindling close to the powder.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 11:32 AM

Recieved.
Posted By: decook

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

That's cause he uses the right side of his brain. All southpaws know that.
partyon555
Posted By: dawaba

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 12:15 PM

Great minds think alike!

My reloading bench is almost identically set up. The dies are stored in a similar fashion but I bored the holes in wood. My Co-Ax press is properly positioned on the right side, however. The wooden shelving is heavily braced on the backside and anchored to the wall...otherwise the weight of the dies and bullets would bring the whole mess crashing down.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: decook
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

That's cause he uses the right side of his brain. All southpaws know that.
partyon555

up

Well done, dawaba!
Posted By: dee

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 06:21 PM

Have they made it to where you can use the micrometer stems in the co-ax?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 06:34 PM

I think they've changed the yoke dimensions on the latest revision of the press so that you can. Not sure when the change came along though. I bought my Co-Ax eight or nine years ago and some die bodies had to be changed out. I think the newest press is the A3 version, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

Yessir. Seated some 7 Rem Mag boolits last night with that big ole Redding micrometer die. Plenty of room.

Riverrider, if you ever decide you want to use some of those and your yolk wont allow it, you could mail it to me and I could make it longer to clear. I aint skeered to weld cast. I keep nickel rods handy for the odd cast iron welding job.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:21 PM

Thanks JG, I appreciate that. I didn't know that cast could be welded. I have no plans to buy any such dies, but having options is a good thing. I might take you up on that just in case. And what will then happen is will feel compelled to buy some high falootin seated dies just cause I can. So it goes.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:29 PM

I was accused, in the rifles section, of helping guys spend money. peep

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:33 PM

The trick to cast iron is you need your hood on, gloves on, electrode in the holder, machine running, ground attached and rose bud in hand. Heat the cast to a pretty stout orange glow, kill the torch, grab the electrode holder, nod the hood down, and get to welding. As soon as the weld is done you have to cover the welded area with a nonflammable insulator so that it cools slowly and does not air quench, which can cause cracking.

There's some welders in my area that don't want to mess with it and send people to me. Doesn't bother me to spend an extra three minutes getting things prepped. I don't see what their problem is with it.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:47 PM

I was accused, in the rifles section, of helping guys spend money. peep

But of course. This is how we help each other! nuts

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:50 PM

The trick to cast iron is you need your hood on, gloves on, electrode in the holder, machine running, ground attached and rose bud in hand. Heat the cast to a pretty stout orange glow, kill the torch, grab the electrode holder, nod the hood down, and get to welding. As soon as the weld is done you have to cover the welded area with a nonflammable insulator so that it cools slowly and does not air quench, which can cause cracking.

There's some welders in my area that don't want to mess with it and send people to me. Doesn't bother me to spend an extra three minutes getting things prepped. I don't see what their problem is with it.

Did you ever play "Mikey" in the Life cereal commercials?
grin

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 07:54 PM

NEVER!
Posted By: Cast

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 09:24 PM

Where were ya when I was rebuilding the NAA with a cracked water jacket?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/25/15 09:58 PM

I was on standby and you never contacted me. grin
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/26/15 06:51 PM

Dang, thats a nice set up. That press and a chargemaster, you can probably fly through reloads.

Quick question, what makes that Co-Ax press better thank others? I understand quality of material, design and stuff like that, but does it seat bullets more consistently or something?

Sometimes with my Lee press I have to rotate a bullet or press it 2-3 times to get it to seat correctly, if that Co-Ax press fixed that I would buy it in a heart beat.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/26/15 07:37 PM

A number one reason I went to it was the ability to change dies as needed, and none of them loose their setting. I can literally go from seating 7 Rem Mag bullets (two days ago) to full length sizing 22-250, to decapping 6.5 Creedmoor as fast as I want. The die does not screw into the press. The locking ring of the die fits into a slot that prevents vertical movement of the die, yet allows it to move front to back as needed.

The shell holder is universal. One shell holder that is two moving halves, will hold everything except my .223. In that case I have to take some screws out and flip the halves around. Rifle, giant rifle, pistol, same shell holder. That design allows the case to move left to right as needed. The last little feature I think is so cool is there is atube below the shell holder that spent primers go into, and the tube is connected to a jar. No more spent primers on the floor.
Posted By: Z06 427

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/26/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

Bought one 2 months ago and it clears all my Redding Comp Dies. Wish I had gone to this press years ago.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/26/15 10:50 PM

it also has about 3x the mechanical advantage of a "C" type press which makes it much more consistent and easier to deal with large batches of 'big' calibers... your stroke remains smooth and no jerking.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/26/15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I think they've changed the yoke dimensions on the latest revision of the press so that you can. Not sure when the change came along though. I bought my Co-Ax eight or nine years ago and some die bodies had to be changed out. I think the newest press is the A3 version, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I was close. But no cigar. The latest version is the B3 and it can handle micrometer dies and the like. Mine is a little older and is the B2 version. If you were to have an even older still Co-Ax it would be the B1, which is just like the B2 except for the priming system which was improved.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 01:55 AM

So when a new Co-ax is purchased will it be the B3? I don't think these just sit around waiting to be sold and one could end up with an older version. I guess when I purchase one I'll need to make sure it's the B3.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
So when a new Co-ax is purchased will it be the B3? I don't think these just sit around waiting to be sold and one could end up with an older version. I guess when I purchase one I'll need to make sure it's the B3.

I do not think there are any B2 versions left on shelves anywhere. They were sold out across the country during the last mad dash. The one I bought last year was missing a packet of parts. That was sent promptly after I spoke with them on the phone.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 02:44 AM

$463.00 wow does loadem for ya?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 02:59 AM

SURELY you can find one cheaper than that.

Yeah, yeah, I know----don't call you Surely.
hammer

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:14 AM

Found them cheaper but no one has them in stock. Forester says they are making them as fast as they can. May have to check them out.
Right now my Big Boss II is mounted to one of those Sinclair press stands. It works great and I can load where ever I want

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:17 AM

Now I want one

And you can call me Surely anytime
Posted By: Judd

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave3575
your stroke remains smooth and no jerking.

That is key grin

Seriously, I love my co-ax and these guys are right on all accounts. The primer mess being contained to the tube and jar is AWESOME.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd

That is key grin

Seriously, I love my co-ax and these guys are right on all accounts. The primer mess being contained to the tube and jar is AWESOME.

What's all this talk about smooth, jerking into a small jar....huh??? What....??? worthless

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd

That is key grin

grin
You too are here for my entertainment.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 04:01 AM

How is the runout using the Forster?

I've always had good luck with their dies, and kind of wondered about the press.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 04:06 AM

Never have checked runout. I can, though, and let you know.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
How is the runout using the Forster?

I've always had good luck with their dies, and kind of wondered about the press.

The press improves the alignment of the die with the case since the case floats with the die creating 'perfect' alignment.... perfect meaning 'really good and mo-better' than a static setup... less runout is a direct byproduct of that feature.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 04:18 AM

A previous coworker that is the one that talked me into one of these, claims runout of less than half of what he could get from the Rock Chucker he replaced with the Coax.

With the die and shell able to float I can see where that would be the case.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 04:42 AM

I just watched a bunch of YouTube reviews of the CO-AX. Pretty dang good engineering.

Are there any drawbacks?

When you adjust the dies for micro-bullet seating die depth or "shoulder bumpn" does the die spin/slip while you turn it?

How do you set it up for first use? now we run the ram (Redding Big Boss II) to the top of the stroke, screw die down till it touches, and a scouch more for set back.

swapping primer seating set up re; large to small ? takes too long?

Will the 1 shell holder take a .223 - .300 WSM. I saw where a guy had to get another holder jaws for his thick rimmed .45-70
Posted By: DStroud

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 05:21 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
A previous coworker that is the one that talked me into one of these, claims runout of less than half of what he could get from the Rock Chucker he replaced with the Coax.

With the die and shell able to float I can see where that would be the case.

I have heard similar reports but I have a RockChucker,Co-Ax and a CH press and I have compared and found no difference. In fact I just finished a batch of 6mm Creemoor on the RockChucker and my runout was less than .002 on all and a lot were barely moving the dial.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I just watched a bunch of YouTube reviews of the CO-AX. Pretty dang good engineering.

Are there any drawbacks?

When you adjust the dies for micro-bullet seating die depth or "shoulder bumpn" does the die spin/slip while you turn it?

How do you set it up for first use? now we run the ram (Redding Big Boss II) to the top of the stroke, screw die down till it touches, and a scouch more for set back.

swapping primer seating set up re; large to small ? takes too long?

Will the 1 shell holder take a .223 - .300 WSM. I saw where a guy had to get another holder jaws for his thick rimmed .45-70

When using a micrometer seating die you just put a little thumb pressure on the lock ring when you make your adjustment, or you can have the ram in the down position and the plate will put pressure on the seating die.

Setting up for first use is similar - get it near the bottom of the ram and then use your gauges/calipers to set the depth correctly.

I have never used it for priming, I use handhelds so I can't comment there.

I have done .223 -> 338LM with the shell-holder that it comes with

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 05:46 PM

I have four Rockchuckers and leave one permanently set up for my main round. It routinely produces 0.000" - 0.001" runout, but it took quite a while of working with the sizing die (the cheapest Redding FL sizing die ironically) setup to achieve that.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 07:57 PM

Now I want one

Well, find the best price you can and put it on backorder and just wait. Surely you'll be glad you did.
grin

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 08:04 PM

JG, your PM limit has exploded

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 08:07 PM

Now I want one

Well, find the best price you can and put it on backorder and just wait. Surely you'll be glad you did.
grin

I'm price shopping and will place a backorder for a Co-ax. Have done the same with a couple other items lately - dies, chrono.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 09:53 PM

Will be watching to see how long it takes, where did you backorder, everywhere?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 10:12 PM

Cabela's has them in stock $314.99

Coax link

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/27/15 10:44 PM

Are these sufficiently better to warrant replacing the existing Rockchuckers that I already own?

Stated differently, what is the advantage over a Rockchucker?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 12:38 AM

JG, your PM limit has exploded

Geez, it's like gravity, constant and unforgiving, that's Ok though.

Cleared about 30 out. SEND IT!

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 12:39 AM

Are these sufficiently better to warrant replacing the existing Rockchuckers that I already own?

How do the dies attach to the Rockchucker?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 12:51 AM

The way they're deigned, you're not putting force on anything that might deflect the stage (what the case sits on) out of alignment. Add to that the fact that there are two rods stabilizing the stage and the fact that the shell holder and die both are free to float to some extent, and you've got a very well engineered setup that is bound to produce very straight ammo---provided the rest of what you're using is high quality, of course. Other advantages are ease of changing dies, no shell holders to mess with, and a fool-proof priming system if you decide you need absolute precision and aren't concerned with speed.

There ARE a few tools that won't work well on the Co-Ax, like some of the stuck case removers and some of the press-mounted primer pocket swagers. I bought a $30 Lee press (what a piece of crap!) to do those things with.

Whether it would be worth replacing your RCs or not, only you can answer that question. Maybe you could just get one Co-Ax and try it out...you said you have four Rock Chuckers, didn't you (or did I misunderstand or mix something up??)?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 01:17 AM

Where in the world are you jeffbird? You're welcome to bring some dies and components and come test drive mine.

Was searching for lands on a Tikka 300 Win Mag an hour ago. When it came time to pull the bullet I found the new Grip and Pull, puller wont work with the Co-Ax, as Riverrider mentioned. Had to reinstall the 60 year old single stage press back on the bench for that. That's all it will get used for anymore.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 01:45 AM

Oh, yeah...that's another tool that won't work on the Co-Ax. I'd forgotten about that, JG.

Have you used your Co-Ax yet?

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 01:56 AM

I've seated 50 7 Rem Mag bullets in the cases.

Yeaterday and this evening I FL sized 500 pieces of .22-250 brass. Noticeable more leverage with the Co-Ax. While it doesn't take much force to bump the shoulders .002" on 22-250, it seemed like gravity was doing more work moving the handle than I was. So far, I'm digging it! The ability to swap dies is the major reason I went to the press. I find myself sizing and loading more chamberigns these days. And every one of them is in different stages of what die I need.

I had a turret press for the .22-250, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 7 Rem Mag. And I was using a single stage press for my new 7mm-08, and my friend's 7 Rem Mag with his dies. The dies and the press had timing marks on them so that I would get them screwed into the same place every time. And I still felt compelled to measure everything just to verify FL length and seating depth every time I swapped dies.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 02:42 AM

One thing I've never seen discussed about the Co-Ax...over time, the shell holder jaws will get debris under them. When you notice that you're having to use some force to make the pointed cam open the jaws, you'll need to remove the jaws and clean them up. I usually give mine a light dusting of graphite powder as I reassemble everything. I'm not really sure the graphite helps much, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 03:05 AM

Good tip, thank you. up

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 03:15 AM

Sure. Anytime...and if someone has a better way of dealing with it, or even preventing it all together, I'd love to be better informed!

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 03:37 AM

I just blow it out with air and give it a good wipe now and then, never had any issues

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 04:04 AM

FJG, I am in Austin, which is four plus hours from you. Maybe one day this spring when it is nice, I can come up there to see your setup and would love to see your range as well.

I'm always open to finding new ways to turn ammo out better and/or faster.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Judd

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 04:10 AM

If you want to get rid of the other press here is the adapter to use regular shell holders on the co-ax press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/144115/forster-co-ax-single-stage-press-shellholder-adapter-plate

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 04:17 AM

JG, I'll trade you a pound of Retumbo for your grip n pull

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 01:06 PM

JG, I'll trade you a pound of Retumbo for your grip n pull

Buy your own damn Grip and Pull. Just a mouse click away.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 06:02 PM

frown

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 06:37 PM

Well. That wasn't very well received, was it?

whip

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 07:06 PM

He knows I'm joshing him. He sent me a PM with a couple questions and that was one.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 07:11 PM

Oh, I knew it too. Just dogpiling, which I think is OKAY when there's no animus.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 07:42 PM

What does a breed of naturally poled Scottish desent black cattle have to do with it? grin

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 07:48 PM

If I was 30 years younger I would be up at JG's welding on that new workshop....well maybe handing him beers and getting in the way

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 02/28/15 08:36 PM

I havn't worked on it in a week! Stupid winter bang
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 03/01/15 02:46 AM

One thing I've never seen discussed about the Co-Ax...over time, the shell holder jaws will get debris under them. When you notice that you're having to use some force to make the pointed cam open the jaws, you'll need to remove the jaws and clean them up. I usually give mine a light dusting of graphite powder as I reassemble everything. I'm not really sure the graphite helps much, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't hurt.

I clean mine periodically and put dry lube on them. If they get sticky I just give them another shot of dry lube. Any time I have to rotate the jaws I take an extra minute and clean them up.

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 03/01/15 03:25 AM

What dry lube? Like silicone spray, or something else?
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: New Co-Ax press, and new way to organize dies. - 03/01/15 08:09 PM

I use the remmington dry lube. It uses teflon as a lubricant.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum