Texas Hunting Forum

Hornady brass......Grrrrrr!

Posted By: Reloader-7

Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 01:24 AM

While sorting some fired ,44 mag brass prior to reloading, I noticed a couple of cases standing next to each other on the bench. One was noticeably shorter than the other. When I checked I found that the short case had a Hornady headstamp. I measured it and found that it was 1.253". The trim length listed by Hodgdon is 1.280", so this case is way under length. I sorted out all of the Hornady brass in that batch and measured it.

Of the 23 cases measured, they ranged from 1.251 to 1.267 with all but two being closer to the bottom of the range. This is short enough to greatly effect the crimp on these cases, with them being anywhere from .013 to .029 short. What is happening here? I knew that Hornady .357mag brass was short because of the long bullet in some of their loads, but I did not know that the same was true of their .44mag brass. Anyone know why they are doing this?

I don't want to have to change my bell and crimp dies to load these cases, so I may just trash them or cut them back to .44spl length. But I will now have to sort all my brass and remove all Hornady cases. Grrrrrr!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloader-7
Anyone know why they are doing this?

Yes. The 44 Mag flex tip bullet Hornady uses is a longer bullet from the tip to ogive than your standard 240 XTP or other HP or flat point .429"-.430" handgun bullet. To make this longer bullet fit to the standard 44 Mag length, they have to shorten up the case. So, yes, the case will be shorter than a standard 44 Mag and will effect your crimp.

I would like to buy these shorter cases from you, if you have enough to sell. It will save me from having to trim my standard 44 mag cases. They need to be shorter than 1.265", or preferred length of 1.255" or shorter. PM me if you have some. Thanks!
Posted By: Skyline

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 03:25 AM

I believe this is also the case with the FTX bullets in the Hornady .45-70 ammunition. I know in their reloading manual they indicate that you need to trim the .45-70 cases shorter than the standard trim length for that cartridge, when loading the 325 grain FTX bullets.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 03:31 AM

If I'm not mistaken the lee factory crimp die will crimp various length brass very nicely. Of course this could lead to crimps off the groove. I use it on .357, 45 colt, and .454 casull. It's an extra step but I perfer that crimp over the seating die crimp.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 03:36 AM

Just checked their website to make sure I was making stuff up.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die/

I know that was not your question but it will resolve your problem. I think all hornady leverevolution and FTX has a shorter trim length. I know my hornady manual calls for shorter trim on them.
Posted By: Reloader-7

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 04:26 AM

I haven't bought .44mag ammo in a looooong time, so I was not aware that Hornady loaded the Flex Tip in their .44 ammo. I thought it was only in the .357mag ammo. Guess I'm behind the times!

Darn, now I will have to sort about 4-5K .44mag cases. frown

Chad, I only have 23 cases right now, but I'm sure that I will have more when I get through sorting. They have no value to me, so you may have them gratis. I will contact you when I am done and bring them to you. I still have your address.

PS: It may take me a while to work up the enthusiasm to get this done. Sorting brass is about as much fun as removing primer pocket crimps! smile
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hornady brass......Grrrrrr! - 02/12/15 01:25 PM

Yes, it is!! Thanks and good luck!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum