Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone keep a loading log book?

Posted By: Bbear

Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/23/15 10:23 PM

Just wondering if you keep one for each firearm or just one book and log everything in the one?
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/23/15 10:36 PM

I keep a binder with load data for each round that I have ever loaded and what firearm it was for.

Walter
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/23/15 10:42 PM

Have an old manual with several pages of log section in the back. Do not have all loads logged there but the pet loads for different calibers are.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/23/15 11:35 PM

I used to and wish I still did.
Posted By: 7o8

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 12:31 AM

Have a notebook to log reloads and the guns they are shot out of.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 01:01 AM

I don't know how you can reload and NOT keeps notes. I keep recipes and data on EVERYTHING I load.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 01:18 AM

I keep a log that probably goes back 25 to 30 yrs. Every powder and bullet combination that I have tried.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 01:19 AM

I currently have one log book that I put everything in. It's starting to get a bit too cluttered to keep track of. Thinking of going to log books by gun/caliber. Maybe go with some smaller 3-ring binder with dividers between. Was just wondering what everyone else used. Or, didn't!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:09 AM

I keep one for each rifle that I reload for. I used to keep books by caliber, but now have a few duplicate calibers, so I keep them by rifle now.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:18 AM

I've kept a spreadsheet containing all my loading activity over the last nine years. Before that it was just best targets with load data written on them.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:35 AM

One book for load development for every rifle I have ever tested. I'd fight a Grizzly bear to protect it, too!

Each rifle has its' own book for round count and data from every shooting session.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:38 AM

I don't reload yet but when I start I intend to use spreadsheets or maybe even a database with a web interface.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:47 AM

I started out with one 3 ring binder notebook for all calibers but after filling up two I realized that would never work.
I now have a book for each caliber. If I did one for each gun I would have to build more shelves.

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 02:56 AM

I tried the data book for each rifle, but it is part of me not knowing really what to put in it and how to use it, and being lazy. But I do see how the data could be really helpful. I have a nice premade book from Impact and hardly use it...

But load data on premade sheets in a three ring binder is where I keep loading notes and good loads for rifles I have worked loads for.

Walter

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 03:09 AM

Impact is good, but I don't like how each range session is laid out.

I record date, time, DA, temp, and wind estimation.

Cold bore distance, elevation I dialed, wind I held, and the result.
Shot #2 same
Shot #3 same
ect.
That's if I'm checking DOPE against the environment.

Once I get "the" load for a rifle I do not alter it. I run that load and record what it does every time out. I also keep a round count for each barrel. I'm stringent on logging, in the ammo box, times loaded and when annealing happened.

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 03:14 AM

I do mark how many firings is on my brass, but I do that right on the lapua box for the brass. And going to anneal every two firings just got the get the giruad set up. When I come take your class well go over the log book...

Walter

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 04:03 AM

No problem. We'll cover anything you want.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 10:55 AM

I keep record of work up loads for every rifle
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 12:59 PM

I write every one down in detail in the book and on the box along with date. After I try a batch that I don't like, I draw a line through it where I can still read it. I make a positive mark on the ones I really like.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/24/15 10:30 PM

I keep a quick log (hull, primer, powder, shot size, shot weight, and # loaded)of my shotshell loads.
Have not done much metallic loads except for my 9mm.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/25/15 04:23 PM

i use to now i just cut out a 3x3in square of my group and put all info on that piece of paper. i like too see the group and info together.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/25/15 04:56 PM

I keep a binder with sections for different guns I load for.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/25/15 09:01 PM

Yes. It's not as detailed as some here though. Just what specs work best for different combos.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Anyone keep a loading log book? - 01/27/15 07:54 PM

since day one.
the guy that showed me how to
reload insisted I do so. it's
the most important thing you
can do as part of reloading.
also, the more detailed info
you record, the easier it is
to duplicate the pet load when
you happen on it, or to not waste
components on a bum load