Texas Hunting Forum

load testing .. what rest?

Posted By: daniel1381

load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 05:12 AM

when you load testing what rest are you guys using to help with some human error?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 05:33 AM

Sand bags, or one very much like this and a rear bag.

rest link
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 05:46 AM

I think the best thing I've used so far may be the Bulls Bag X7 system. The Caldwell Full Length Fire Control rest is pretty good too. I do think the Bulls Bag system may be more effective though.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 11:48 AM

Bipod and a rear bag.

I will show you how in a couple weeks.
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sand bags, or one very much like this and a rear bag.

rest link

^^^^^This
Posted By: dawaba

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Bipod and a rear bag.

JG, do you have a favorite commercial rear bag?

I have used a home-made rear bag that my wife sewed from the britches leg of a worn set of Levis probably 30 years ago. She even sewed in big ears, and it has served me well for all this time. But it is starting to wear through and leak sand in a couple places, and duct tape can only cover so many sins.

I'm not sure I can convince her to sew me another, so I may have to look at some store-bought options.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 01:48 PM

http://wiebad.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=78

I have three Wiebad bags, but I use this one the most. Not only for a rear bag, but for a steady rest bag when using some type of fixed object at various heights off the ground. The strap will let you fasten the bag around the barrel and stock just ahead of the front scope tube, which is where most rifles balance. It helps soften the contact of the rifle to the hard surface allowing a more steady positional shot. It is also just the right size for shooting prone or when I shoot off a bench at prairie dogs. This company was founded by two Texas shooters and they make everything un College Station, TX.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 01:50 PM

None of their bags are full of sand. They're full of moisture resistent beads and the nylon is all weather as well. I left mine out in the rain one time. Just hang it up for a couple of hours and it's good to go. They won't start leaking and they are very light weight.
Posted By: dee

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 01:58 PM

I have a few sandbags made from old shotbags and I'll use them or a combination of them and a bipod. It mainly depends on the rifle.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 06:32 PM

I bought bags of sand from the pool store because they are in plastic bags. I have a permanent bench set up at my range so I leave them there. I use a commercial rear bag I got from midway. Also have a number of 1x6 lumber to adjust the height of rear bag for different guns.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 06:36 PM

Most of the time I use a San Angelo bench rest and some home made sandbags. If I am really trying to wring out the tightest group I can, I use a Caldwell Lead Sled.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 07:17 PM

I use a bipod on the front and either a Triad Tactical wedgie bag or weibad loop bag in the back.

Walter
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 07:34 PM

Bipod and a rear bag.

+1. I use a bipod and sturdy rear bag. If the rifle is unbedded, then I will NOT use a bipod. It can throw shots.
Posted By: postoak

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 07:44 PM

What about a lead sled?

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 07:45 PM

I have never used one. Chad reports that they can make a rifle shoot differently. I will take his word for it.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
What about a lead sled?

NO NO!!! A lead sled totally changes up the recoil impulse of the firearm from when you shoot it off your shoulder. If you plan to shoot it 100% of the time on a sled, then that's fine, use it. But you WILL have a point of impact shift with a lead sled from your shoulder. If your gun shoots 2" groups, then you may or may not notice it. If your gun shoots same hole, you will for sure notice it. The sled will work, but it will mess with you for precision shooting.
Posted By: Cast

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/02/15 08:41 PM

I use a Cabella's cast iron front rest with a protector leather bag, and a large hard bottom rabbit ear rear bag filled with lead shot. I also have a riser I build from 2x6 to elevate it. Because the benches are concrete, I also use a sissy bag for my elbow.
Posted By: sneakyfletch

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/03/15 02:42 PM

Hey chad you said the bipod could throw shots just wondering the other day i shot a 5 round group 1/2 moa at 200 yards no wind then shot another 5 round group also 1/2 inch moa right after the first 5 round group and it moved 3 inches to the left and two inches high the rifle is not bedded what ever is happening is consistently wrong.if something was moving i think it would be all over the place.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 01:52 AM

Speak in MOA or inches, not both. Its hard to follow what you're writing.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
What about a lead sled?

NO NO!!! A lead sled totally changes up the recoil impulse of the firearm from when you shoot it off your shoulder. If you plan to shoot it 100% of the time on a sled, then that's fine, use it. But you WILL have a point of impact shift with a lead sled from your shoulder. If your gun shoots 2" groups, then you may or may not notice it. If your gun shoots same hole, you will for sure notice it. The sled will work, but it will mess with you for precision shooting.

Lead sleds, because their weight abbreviates the normal rearward movement of a recoiling rifle, have also been responsible for cracking and ruining more than a few wood stocks. I don't know any riflemen that use them anymore.
Posted By: sneakyfletch

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 02:08 PM

Sorry jg both groups were 1/2 inch groups
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
What about a lead sled?

Lead sleds, because their weight abbreviates the normal rearward movement of a recoiling rifle, have also been responsible for cracking and ruining more than a few wood stocks. I don't know any riflemen that use them anymore.

Are you saying the Lead Sled is causing the wood stocks to crack? If so, how is that possible?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 07:28 PM

It's because the lead sled does not dampen the shock of recoil like a human shoulder does. There's virtually no give at all. Imagine holding your rifle by the barrel and slamming the butt into the concrete really hard a few times. Do it enough times, something's going to give.
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/04/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
It's because the lead sled does not dampen the shock of recoil like a human shoulder does. There's virtually no give at all. Imagine holding your rifle by the barrel and slamming the butt into the concrete really hard a few times. Do it enough times, something's going to give.

Never thought of it that way. Good to know.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/06/15 03:58 PM

Ordered a comp berry bag and a todd tac bag..
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/06/15 06:25 PM

Bipod and a rear bag.

+1. I use a bipod and sturdy rear bag. If the rifle is unbedded, then I will NOT use a bipod. It can throw shots.

I was sighting in a Rem 700 .243 last month and had it right where I wanted it, 1.5" high dead center, off a bipod w/ rear bag. Replaced the bipod with front bag and the next 2 shots were 3" high and 3" left. Had to re-sight-in using bags to replicate blind hunting. Gun will shoot great either way just not the same point of impact.

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/08/15 05:16 PM

http://wiebad.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=78

I have three Wiebad bags, but I use this one the most. Not only for a rear bag, but for a steady rest bag when using some type of fixed object at various heights off the ground. The strap will let you fasten the bag around the barrel and stock just ahead of the front scope tube, which is where most rifles balance. It helps soften the contact of the rifle to the hard surface allowing a more steady positional shot. It is also just the right size for shooting prone or when I shoot off a bench at prairie dogs. This company was founded by two Texas shooters and they make everything un College Station, TX.

got them today amazed at how well made and lite they are!! thanks for telling me about em

Re: load testing .. what rest? - 01/08/15 05:21 PM

You bet!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum