Texas Hunting Forum

Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs

Posted By: Birdog62

Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 05:49 AM

.270 win. Did the dummy round 5 different cartridges, measured 3.460". SAAMI specs say max length 3.340". If I seat .015" to .030" I'm still over max specs. Is this a problem? I'm sorta new to this. I've always loaded to Remington factory ammo length. Loading Hornady 130 gr. SST.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 08:19 AM

Can you feed rounds of that length through your magazine?

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Can you feed rounds of that length through your magazine?

Rem 700 ADL, the rounds seem to feed fine. The bolt extracts, ejects,& picks up & feeds the next round.
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 01:14 PM

You're fine....

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 01:36 PM

Is it normal for the chambers to be so long? This rifle is a tack driver, sub MOA. It's over 30 yrs. old and has killed many an animal over it's lifetime.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 02:21 PM

Fit ammo to your chamber and to your mag length. SAAMI applies to manufacturers, not hand loaders. I never look at book spec max length, since I will have my own max length based on my chamber.

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 02:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm feeling better about this. up
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Fit ammo to your chamber and to your mag length. SAAMI applies to manufacturers, not hand loaders. I never look at book spec max length, since I will have my own max length based on my chamber.

Yup

Shape of the bullet and mag length comes into play as well as your rifle. Some rifles like Weahtherby rifles have as much as .25 free bore so with them you are not going to be seating near the lands and still function through the mag. The further out you have a bullet seated the more room there is for powder, but when kissing the lands there is not room for a bullet to have a jump and pressures will build up quickly without that jump. For instance in a Remington 257Wby we were blowing primer pockets with factory loads while a Weatherby rifle no blown primers or excessive pressure indicators. Difference in the rifles was that extra free bore in the Weatherby chamber. Just something to think about.

Work up in powder charge from low to higher and find a good shooting load without pressure signs and have fun. I usually do this starting kissing the lands with Bergers and .1 of caliber off the lands with most others if mag length and bullet allow it. Part of that bullet allow it thing, I want at least a caliber length in the case neck for proper neck tension so if a bullet is too short for a full caliber of seating depth then there will be more of a jump for where I load from on the bullet jump into the lands. Also for all other than single shots Mag length will dictate max coal, if I want a single shot I will shoot one.

Hope this is not too confusing just my 2cents
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 07:17 PM

happybday Kevin!

And I'm on the same page with you, on that post.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 12/30/14 07:36 PM

Thanks Jason

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 01/07/15 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Thanks. This is all starting to come together.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Seating depth longer than S.A.A.M.I. specs - 01/07/15 05:47 AM

The only thing you need to worry about is if the round will feed, and that it is not too short.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum