Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth?

Posted By: 10ring

Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:00 PM

Wondering what methods others use for measuring seating depth and finding the lands? I use an old Stony Point set and it seems to work "ok". It seems using a simple "dummy round" with a slit cut in the neck allowing the bullet to slide works best but yet I still wonder what better methods are out there?
Posted By: dee

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:03 PM

I use the modified case like you mentioned.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:06 PM

I see no way the split-neck method can be beat. About the only way you can go wrong is using a poorly dimensioned comparator or a junk caliper for measuring.
Posted By: 10ring

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:08 PM

I was thinking about pouring chamber castings and taking measurements off of that. Would that be worth the trouble?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:10 PM

IMO, negative.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 04:51 PM

Simple, seat the bullet long, and chamber check. If it won't chamber, seat deeper and rechamber check. I do this to find the lands on all my rifles I load for. It takes me about 3-5 rounds to find it right where I want it. Look for slight rifling marks left on the ogive of the bullet and you know you are touching.
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 05:02 PM

I do as Chad described except remove the firing pin. Seat long and try to close bolt gently. If it won't close seat another .005 and retry until a soft close. Then you can play .001 or .002 at a time.
Don't know if it is the right way but I am unsure of the Stoney Point tool if I am jamming to hard or missing by stopping at the first resistance I feel.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 05:48 PM

I use the split case, that said will verify with the way Chad described. Then sometimes seat the bullet deeper so it will cycle reliably through the mag. Some rifles you just cannot seat a bullet touching the lands and still have reliable functioning.

Weatherby rifles forget seating to the lands, unless you want a single shot.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/28/14 07:35 PM

Split neck, seat one long, measure to the ogive, write it down, chamber the round, write down what it was pushed to. Adjust the seater die to seat the bullet a bit deeper, repeat about five times. By the time I'm done I should have the slightest rifling marks on the bullet. This is where I call it "even" and I jump or jam from that ogive measurement.
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/29/14 03:25 PM

i use a cleaning rod with a blunted jag, i have two collets that lock on to the rod.
insert till it touches the bolt slide collet up to end of barrell and tighten. remove bolt insert bullet and have another cleaning rod hold that in place insert other collet on cleaning rod insert rod to it touches bullet, slide collet up to barell and tighten. now i measure inside of collet plus .75 which is the thickness of my collet. its easy and fast no guessing.
if you cant get collets made just use a razor blade placed flately against end of barrell and slightly scratch cleaning rod, measure both scratches .
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/29/14 03:26 PM

no need to split necks if you have a neck sizing die, just put enough tension on neck to hold bullet.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/29/14 06:01 PM

I use the Hornady Comparator. Usually take 4-5 measurements. Fast and easy.
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Favorite method for measuring bullet seating depth? - 12/31/14 03:24 AM

Split neck method here...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum