Texas Hunting Forum

Powder dispenser

Posted By: Cleric

Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 03:29 PM

So I am looking for a new powder dispenser. I care about accuracy and time to dispense

My two options I see are

Rcbs powder dispenser
Harrell thrower and a high resolution scale (gem pro 250 or equivalent)

Thoughts on either system? I know the rcbs is used buy a lot of good shooters, but will going to .01 grains be that much better than .1 grains?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 03:37 PM

I know the RCBS system but not the other. If the other is truly better, get it. The Chargemaster is a great piece of equipment.

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 03:49 PM

You must have meant Harrell. I googled "Haskell" and came up with nothing.

The only reason to use a Harrell is if you intend to charge with whatever the measure drops. It's not going to be anywhere near 0.01 grain in consistency so you may as well just use a Uni-Flow because you'd be trickling to desired weight anyway.

If you're not weighing and sorting cases and sorting bullets, then weighing to that level of precision won't be a detriment but I think you'll see no perceptible benefit.

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 03:51 PM

Sorry auto correct ftl...http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/powder-measures-dispensers/harrell-premium-powder-measure-prod38305.aspx

I would add a trickler if necessary
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 05:41 PM

RCBS and trickler if not using a Chargemaster. Chargemaster seems slow until you get a few cases filled then you can be seating bullets as it throws another load.
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 06:19 PM

Might depend on which RCBS model you're talking about.

I have the RCBS Uniflow and I like it a lot but I'm sure there's something better out there. I use THIS that mates the Uniflow to my Lee powder through expanding dies. I use an ancient Lyman beam scale to set up the Uniflow and to check the drop once and a while. The Uniflow has a bunch of accessories like a micrometer adjustment and metering baffle. There's two sizes of drop cylinders.

I have a Lee Auto Disc on my turret. Works pretty well but is not as repeatable as the RCBS and not infinitely adjustable unless you buy blank aftermarket discs and drill them yourself.

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/28/14 06:38 PM

I would go with the charges master.

Each way would be about 300
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 12:11 AM

Wow...I can't imagine spending $300 on a single item. I don't shoot for money. To each his own.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 12:27 AM

I use the chargemaster and it works great for me. When I have the money and get one on sale I will pickup a second.

Walter

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 12:32 AM

Use a Chargemaster for a while and you'll see the value. If there were ball powders that worked well enough for all my own needs I'd use my Uni-Flow and a balance beam scale exclusively, but there are not so I do not.
Posted By: shootlow

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 03:28 AM

chargemaster and never look back
you can store your load data

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 03:40 AM

How well does it work on varget?

The hornady I have is not good

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 03:43 AM

Use the straw mod and change the settings in the machine per the load, and it works good. I never threw a lot of varget but I do throw a lot of h4350 and never have any problems.

Just don't leave powder in it when you are not using it and if you don't always leave it on then turn it on a few hours before you use it.

Walter
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/29/14 04:48 AM

Use the straw on Varget and the other cylindrical powders and it will work fine. Does a good job as is with the shortcut powders though. I do no have a chargemaster but have used friends setups before and like them, gotta love helping setup a new reloader that bought better equipment than I have bang

I have a Hornady one and with those type powders have to trickle or get a lot of overage throws which is a real pain with it. Get more accurate charges with a Lee powder drop than with the Hornday one.
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/30/14 02:18 AM

I love my ChargeMaster

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/30/14 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Use the straw on Varget and the other cylindrical powders and it will work fine. Does a good job as is with the shortcut powders though. I do no have a chargemaster but have used friends setups before and like them, gotta love helping setup a new reloader that bought better equipment than I have bang

I have a Hornady one and with those type powders have to trickle or get a lot of overage throws which is a real pain with it. Get more accurate charges with a Lee powder drop than with the Hornday one.

It could be worse, he could have bought a Prometheus...

Walter
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/30/14 07:08 PM

Get more accurate charges with a Lee powder drop than with the Hornday one.

The Lee perfect powder measure is the least expensive I've found and works really well.
Posted By: Trouble_Shooter

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/30/14 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieDokie

The Lee perfect powder measure is the least expensive I've found and works really well.

I couldn't get by the fact that it's all plastic. I'll stick with my No.55.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/31/14 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Trouble_Shooter
Originally Posted By: OkieDokie

I couldn't get by the fact that it's all plastic. I'll stick with my No.55.

So is my RCBS Chargemaster clap

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/31/14 03:18 PM

Think I will go with charge master for now. Trying to figure out what to do with the hornady...
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/31/14 03:21 PM

Good choice! When I am loading precision ammo on the single stage, I'll have 2, sometimes 3, Chargemasters side by side, running. I'll transfer the powder from the CM to a digital scale accurate to .02 grains, and trickle up. You can load some good ammo very fast!

Re: Powder dispenser - 12/31/14 09:25 PM

pulled the trigger today...

got in on the 50 MIR

Yeah chad if you have 3 you can go fast :P
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum