Texas Hunting Forum

New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings

Posted By: J.G.

New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 03:22 AM

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/new.cfm

They're increasing the BC, by what appears to be a polymer tip that is more consistent bullet to bullet, as opposed to the fine hollow point.

Hmmm nidea

Wonder who else does this? Seems like I remember....oh yeah! I fire thousands of Hornady A-maxes every year, but they have a red tip, completely different. But hey, I like competition within the bullet makers, it usually benefits the shooters.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 03:25 AM

.30 cal 175 SMK open tip has a published G1 BC of .505

.30 cal 175 TMK (tipped Match King) has a published G1 BC of .545

Only one way to find out if that is in fact true, and that is to send them down range about a half a mile. banana
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 03:34 AM

They look good!! Interested to see how they shoot!

popcorn
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 03:52 AM

I may have some otm for sale soon smile
Posted By: tth_40

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 04:04 AM

Hmm...

Now if they'll just come out with a 162 grain version in .284". grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

They're increasing the BC, by what appears to be a polymer tip that is more consistent bullet to bullet, as opposed to the fine hollow point.

Hmmm nidea

Wonder who else does this? Seems like I remember....oh yeah! I fire thousands of Hornady A-maxes every year, but they have a red tip, completely different. But hey, I like competition within the bullet makers, it usually benefits the shooters.

Yup Hornady copied Nosler with polymer tipped bullets, I think Nosler got the idea from the Remington Bronze Tip. Nosler and Hornady copied Swift with the tipped bonded core bullet. Wonder what will be next.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 05:34 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

Hmmm nidea

Yup Hornady copied Nosler with polymer tipped bullets, I think Nosler got the idea from the Remington Bronze Tip. Nosler and Hornady copied Swift with the tipped bonded core bullet. Wonder what will be next.

Winchester was using aluminum tips 40 or more years ago in the old "Silvertips." The biggest exit wound I've ever seen in a deer was with a 180 gr, 30 cal Win Silvertip from a 300 H&H. The exit hole was bigger than a softball. This was before the first Nosler reloading guide was even published.

These new SMK's look nice. I look forward to trying some.

Posted By: dee

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Hmm...

They will likely tip their 175gr and 180gr before developing a new bullet. Their 168gr isn't bad and is exceptionally easy to load for but lacks a little in bc at .565 compared to the .600 of the Amax.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Hmmm nidea

Winchester was using aluminum tips 40 or more years ago in the old "Silvertips." The biggest exit wound I've ever seen in a deer was with a 180 gr, 30 cal Win Silvertip from a 300 H&H. The exit hole was bigger than a softball. This was before the first Nosler reloading guide was even published.

These new SMK's look nice. I look forward to trying some.

I think what he meant was that Nosler got the idea for his ballistic tip from using the Remington Bronze Tip. Supposedly he loved their accuracy but said they weren't consistent on game at certain distances.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 12:22 PM

Hmm...

Preach it! Preach it!

F-ing Hornady.......

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 03:17 PM

When did the Silvertip and Bronze tip first come out? Which came first?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 04:08 PM

Hmm...

Preach it! Preach it!

F-ing Hornady.......

My sentiments EXACTLY. A good replacement for their 162 grain AMAX is needed. Now. cheers

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 04:10 PM

Remington claims first but I'm not certain.
They say over 80 years it was introduced while most I've seen on the silvertips was in the 50's.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/19/14 04:53 PM

Interesting, I did not realize the Remingtons when back that far. I always thought Win and Rem came out with the competing products about the same time. Good info, thanks dee.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/20/14 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Interesting, I did not realize the Remingtons when back that far. I always thought Win and Rem came out with the competing products about the same time. Good info, thanks dee.

Don't hold me 100% to that info though. I know my grandfather ran the bronze points for many years on elk until he started swagging his own 190gr HP stuff.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/20/14 11:41 PM

.22 and .30 thats it?

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/21/14 01:06 AM

Way it seems.

Military uses .223 and .308

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/21/14 01:30 PM

Way it seems.

Military uses .223 and .308

They are likely the most demanded diameter of bullets for the general public as well.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/21/14 01:56 PM

Bet that's right. Everyone has an AR-15. And there's tons of .308 Winchesters, 30-06, and 300 Win Mags out there
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 01:41 AM

I bet if these sell and shoot good, we will see 6.5 and .284 soon...I hope, I'm an all day sucker and will buy anything....

waiting on the Nosler 6.5 LR accubond now.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 01:42 AM

No comments on the "all day sucker" I admit it.....
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 01:50 AM

You guys make me feel better about all the dang bullets I have. No way I'll live long enough to shoot em all up. Sounds like ya'll are worse than me.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 02:00 AM

Hey 603, I'm with you!! I wish you could buy EVERY bullet in a 12 pack.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Hey 603, I'm with you!! I wish you could buy EVERY bullet in a 12 pack.

New to reloading, just started for my .243 and I have already tried 5 bullets and 4 powders eek2.

Curiosity killed the cat... and my wallet.

Re: New! Sierra Tipped Match Kings - 12/22/14 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
You guys make me feel better about all the dang bullets I have. No way I'll live long enough to shoot em all up. Sounds like ya'll are worse than me.

I'm about 500 .224" in the .22-250 per year

500-1000 6.5mm in the 6.5 Creedmoor

100 in the 7mm Rem Mag

And I never seem to have enough bullets stored up. Even though it would take a mule to haul the ones I have right now. bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum