Texas Hunting Forum

cool trick

Posted By: bass461

cool trick - 12/02/14 04:33 PM

Colored Sharpie Marking Pens – Mark your bullets ahead of the bearing surface, and the color transfers to the target. This way you can shoot multiple loads at the same point of aim and discern which load shoots the tightest. (Recommended for 300 yards and beyond). With colored bullet tips you can test multiple loads “round robin” to equalize wind effects. When testing seating depths for example, you can mark the longer-seated set of bullets red and the shorter-seated set green and shoot them during the same sequence. Just look at the colored marks on the target to see which grouped better.

I read this and thought it was a great idea. Does anyone do this ?
Posted By: dee

Re: cool trick - 12/02/14 04:52 PM

You can also set 2 paper targets up at 1ft apart and mark a stripe down the bullet to get twist rate.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: cool trick - 12/02/14 05:16 PM

also sharpies do have corrosive chemicals in them that might pit the inside of your barrel over time.
Posted By: Judd

Re: cool trick - 12/02/14 05:41 PM

Never heard of that one Dee...good idea.

Cyberpyrot - you don't do the bearing surface so your barrel never touches the sharpie mark, only the tip.

Also, part 2 of advice....it doesn't work worth a crap on brown paper, white is best. I learned this the hard way. Because while shooting a ladder test I have 5 different colors so I don't have to go down there as often. Well with brown paper I couldn't tell which was which.
Posted By: dee

Re: cool trick - 12/02/14 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Cyberpyrot - you don't do the bearing surface so your barrel never touches the sharpie mark, only the tip.

Also, part 2 of advice....it doesn't work worth a crap on brown paper, white is best. I learned this the hard way. Because while shooting a ladder test I have 5 different colors so I don't have to go down there as often. Well with brown paper I couldn't tell which was which.

Wish I could claim it as mine but it was in Litz last book.
Posted By: Wader

Re: cool trick - 12/02/14 10:05 PM

I use colored ink pads for rubber stamps to do the same thing.

-ww
Posted By: J.G.

Re: cool trick - 12/03/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd

I failed to warn you of that. You did put your big boy pants on and do it at 500 yards though. grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum