Texas Hunting Forum

Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover

Posted By: DannyB

Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover - 11/22/14 05:05 PM

I have a Mec Grabber that hasn’t been used in about twenty-five years. I have decided to clean it up and use it again. It has been sitting on a shelf uncovered in my shop all this time and I am looking for any suggestions different or additional to what I am considering doing.

I was figuring on waiting for a semi-damp day with a strong wind that I can have to my back and blasting it down with lacquer thinner using a paint gun. Then I thought I would use Rem-Oil on various moving parts.

I have a small list of things I plan on ordering from Mec as well such as:

New spring for shot/powder bar
New spring for primer feed
Rubber grommets that go under the shot and powder bottles
Wad guide fingers
New bottles

Anybody have any other suggestions to get this thing ready to go again?
Posted By: dredd

Re: Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover - 11/22/14 07:14 PM

May just need a good wipe down & hit the moving parts with some sort of CLP.
G96 works great for me.

Those things seem to live forever.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover - 11/22/14 07:23 PM

I have a pair of MEC 600s. They work beautifully. I'd just like to know how to make them a little quieter. As far as I can tell, not much can be done about it.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover - 11/23/14 03:45 AM

It needs more than just a wipe down. I de-primed a few hulls last night just to see how the machine felt. It could use a good hosing off. I even thought about taking it to the car wash, but that just didn't sound like the right thing to do.

I also discovered a can of carburetor cleaner in the shop that I thought about using, and may still. The CLP type lube sounds good too. I also considered a dry lubricant like graphite.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Mec Grabber Clean Up / Makeover - 11/26/14 08:21 PM

Several good videos by Mayville Engineering on cleaning the MEC reloaders. The main thing I would do is clean the collet really good. Compressed air is your friend. I would NOT hose it off or take it to the car wash.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mayvilleinc/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLpGSbT-1Jk&list=UUzWiYxE2RIwh-eVMZGFOWOA
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum