Texas Hunting Forum

Agh...did something stupid!

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 12:15 AM

Guys,

I screwed up! When I was done charging brass for my AR 6.5 CM I dumped the left over into the wrong jug! Agh!

So guys have you ever done this? If so what'd you do with the jug with mixed powders?

I'm glad I realized it!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 12:16 AM

Dang. Yuck.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 12:17 AM

How much powder was compromised?

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 12:34 AM

I think about 100 grains...approximately 2 bullets loads.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 01:13 AM

So make the cocktail stirred and shaken.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 01:42 AM

What kind of powder did you dump, and what kind did you dump it into?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 02:38 AM

He dumped H4350 I am guessing but not sure what he dumped it into. If it is a similar burn rate( Varget or slower) I would take Fireman's advise.... no worries on that small amount.

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
He dumped H4350 I am guessing but not sure what he dumped it into. If it is a similar burn rate( Varget or slower) I would take Fireman's advise.... no worries on that small amount.

You got half right but wrong! I dumped Varget into H4350...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: DStroud

You got half right but wrong! I dumped Varget into H4350...

No big deal. 100 grains into a partial pound? (7000 grains) Those have a burn rate so close that there is a long list of cartridges that shoot each powder equally well.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 01:58 PM

I would shake it up really well and reduce my load by a few tenths, and keep rocking. And DON'T pour powder into the wrong jug!!!

I keep the powder jug with the gun powder that is in dispenser right behind the dispenser. All other powder is separate and away from this area. Therefore I only have the 1 jug on the table at a time to avoid this mistake.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/10/14 02:44 PM

After many choice words I'd dump all the powder on my reloading bench and get a pair a tweesers and pick through kernal by kernal and separate the 4350 & varget.

Just messing with you...I'd probably cuss some more and call myself all sorts of creative names and then shake the heck out of it and keep going. If it was just a lb I would probably just sacrifice the lb and go on...but 8lbs is a little more than I'd be willing to swallow.

On a good note....I bet you don't ever do that again. You sound like me, have to learn stuff the hardway.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/11/14 03:19 AM

Sad part will be when your new load shoots .25 but you don't know the exact specs on the mix! laugh
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Agh...did something stupid! - 11/11/14 07:01 PM

Did this about 5 years ago. I dumped about a 1/2 lb of imr 7828 into about a 1/2 lb of H4350. I cursed called myself stupid names was really pissed off. Learned a valuable lesson and stored my powder somewhere other than on the loading bench, then dumped the appx lb of powder on a paver brick in the front yard and lit it up after dark, it burns bright!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum