Texas Hunting Forum

9mm OAL?

Posted By: TheOilman

9mm OAL? - 11/01/14 06:26 PM

Trying to get the best coal for my xdm 5.35 competiton. When I do the put the bullet in the shot brass and push till it seats I get a 1.185 coal , the magazine will fit 1.178 fine. Would I be crazy to load at a 1.175 coal? I loaded a few rounds like this and it functioned fine with no signs if high pressure. What your guys go to length on a 9mm 115gn Rn ?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 9mm OAL? - 11/03/14 03:11 AM

You will need to consult your manual for the EXACT bullet you are shooting for the correct COAL. Each round nose (RN) can be different. Some may have a FMJ type of RN or some may have the RN flat. Each will need it's own specific COAL. I don't mess with the COAL for accuracy on a pistol. I tune it with the powder charge, just like a rifle.
Posted By: TheOilman

Re: 9mm OAL? - 11/03/14 05:36 AM

You don't adjust your oal for your rifle? I'm somewhat new to reloading and everyone I have ever talked to told me to find the oal on the rifle. Do you still get accurate loads? Not judging just curious, thank you
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 9mm OAL? - 11/03/14 02:36 PM

Sure, I adjust the seating depth on the rifle. But this is a pistol. The pistol is a semi auto and needs to function out of a magazine. If you go too long on a pistol, it can mess up the angle of feeding and jam up. I've seen guys mess with it, and then go back to book COAL for that bullet to get reliable feeding. You will not gain much, if anything, playing with the COAL in a 9mm pistol.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum