Texas Hunting Forum

Learned a good lesson tonight

Posted By: BearkatHunter2011

Learned a good lesson tonight - 08/20/14 03:32 AM

Long and short of it...

Used Dawn dish soap from the dollar store that was non-concentrated and non-chlorine soap in my Thumbler Tumbler with stainless steel pins and Lemi-Shine. I had a black film on all my brass after an hour and a half of tumbling.

Turned out it was the cheap soap that wasn't breaking down the gunpowder residue. Had to clean by hand about 100 30-30 Win. brass with Fast Orange. It worked. Lesson learned. Don't use cheap soap.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 08/20/14 03:47 AM

That's a new one on me. I checked two bottles and both just say Dawn ultra... one bottle was in the garage by the Tumbler and is about empty and I have had no issues.

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 08/21/14 02:03 AM

The ultra Dawn is great stuff. This was Dawn Simply Clean. Stuff isn't worth a hoot.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 08/26/14 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BearkatHunter2011
Long and short of it...

Used Dawn dish soap from the dollar store that was non-concentrated and non-chlorine soap in my Thumbler Tumbler with stainless steel pins and Lemi-Shine. I had a black film on all my brass after an hour and a half of tumbling.

Turned out it was the cheap soap that wasn't breaking down the gunpowder residue. Had to clean by hand about 100 30-30 Win. brass with Fast Orange. It worked. Lesson learned. Don't use cheap soap.
or you could run it through the process again with better soap

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 08/27/14 02:39 AM

That night it was just easier to do it than go out to the store.
Posted By: fishinintx

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 09/05/14 11:32 PM

I tried the vinegar, dish soap an Lemishine last night on some badly tarnished bras...came out great. I need to get a wet tumbler.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 09/06/14 01:45 PM

I lot of dollar stores carry counterfeit name brands.
I suspect Dawn from the grocery store may have worked.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Learned a good lesson tonight - 09/06/14 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
I lot of dollar stores carry counterfeit name brands.
I suspect Dawn from the grocery store may have worked.

How so?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum