Texas Hunting Forum

CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader

Posted By: rdhibbs

CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader - 10/16/17 05:09 PM

We are in 4-H Shooting Sports. We had a leader who would not let any one know what we had or where it was. He recently retired and brought us all the firearms. In the mix are 3 CVA Eclipse Bolt Action .50 Caliber Muzzle loaders.

They have been in the case for who knows how many years, looking in the bolt port toward the primmer it sure looks corroded (like battery post) The color is a pasty spotty white it is not thick. The bolts were not moving either.

I watched a u tube video on disassembling these and it took a special tool, which we do not have.

Are these rifles worth putting much money in to salvage them? Is there any thing we could use to break the parts loose and clean them up to a usable condition?

These would be cool for the youth to use if we can get them going cheap enough.
Posted By: hangfire

Re: CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader - 10/17/17 12:36 AM

You can buy the breech plug/nipple wrench on ebay for about $15.00 Most all the powders for BP rifles is water soluble so I would try soaking the white stuff in some water first. You really need to get the breech plug out before you do much investing and see if the barrel is rust/corroded up. I have a breech plug wrench but it would probably cost more to ship it to you than you can buy one for, the hex wrench should be easy to find locally. From the video I watched it looks like the rear cap on the bolt is screwed on with a spring under it. b

Re: CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader - 10/17/17 01:21 AM

Thanks, it would certainly be worth 1
$15.00 to try
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader - 10/17/17 07:48 PM

$11-16 on muzzle-loaders.com

Re: CVA Eclips Bolt Action Muzzle loader - 10/17/17 09:44 PM

CVA is sending us a chamber plug wrench. Very much appreciated I might add
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum