Texas Hunting Forum

Muzzleloader Ignition help

Posted By: Christian Hoffmann

Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/08/17 09:59 PM

I have a Traditions vortek ultralight muzzleloader. I currently use Black horn 209 with CCI primers. Im not sure if the Breech plug is the problem ( from being fouled) or the primers aren't hot enough. It seems i could be able to shoot a few shots before i would have to clean it out? This is why having a Muzzleloader in Texas sucks!! Know body in stores can help me.

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/08/17 09:59 PM

I keep having misfires and hang fires.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/09/17 01:52 AM

welcome ta texasHF & the world of muzzleloaders...
Been hunting with side lock since 70's... Yet, dont claim ta know it all...
Difference in side lock & what your shooting is, if not mistaking yours is in-line, nipple is in-line with chamber, barrell, powder... The 209 is more of a shotgun primmer, ruffly twice the size of the #10 &11 caps used on side lock, & nipple is not in-line with barrel, rather off ta side, hence the name...
Also the powder used in the in-lines is a more modern gradr of powder compaired to old black powder... Dont think your using the loose powder, rather the pellet type, they are a little tougher ta ignite if not mistaken, part of reason for the bigger primmer....
Of all the shooting i've done over the years, seldom had misfire... The powder your using is a lot cleaner more modern & should have less foul ups.. Can get roughly 2-3 shots with out running patch ta clean, 3rd shot is tough ta seat... Use dry patch if continue shooting, if wet patch, & then dry, dry fire first before loading ta make sure all dampness out... With breach plug it a lot easier... It could be in your nipple, faulty from factory, something not letting a good spark, the pellets little harder ta ignote reason in-line... Could be a bad batch of pellets, Good spark, nothing obstructing, dry chamber should ignite...
Hopefully some one will be here ta advise better, Dont give up... As pappy says: keep your head held high & your powder dry ...

edit: make sure pellet & minni, maxi ball is seated proprrly... Put ramrod down barrel, mrk depth... line up your 2-3 pellets with maxiball & subtract that off mark on ramrod... That way when every thing seated properly, the line on ramrod be even with end off barrel...
flag

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/09/17 02:39 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/09/17 02:39 PM

How are you cleaning it?

I would remove the breach plug and completely clean, not just brush it out.

I can easily shoot 5 times with hawkin replica using No. 11 caps and not have a misfire and not have trouble loading it.

If your cleaning it well enough you may try a different powder or primer combination. How old is your powder?
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/09/17 02:44 PM

What type of powder are you using?
I have used black powder for years.
It ignite easy the pellets have a layer of a black powder on them.

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/09/17 06:36 PM

I am using Blackhorn 209 for the breech plug i hand turn a drill bit through it , until i see light. I may just switch to pellets or sell it. Are the pellets easier to use?
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/10/17 02:27 AM

Pellets are easy to use, just drop them in and ram a bullet on them.
Pyrodex is a lot harder to lite any humidity and will make it even harder lite.
Black powder will lite off even in wet and humidity conditions.
I have not used the modern black powder substitutes.
I have used black powder for 25 years Without a problem.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/10/17 06:25 PM

How old is your powder?
Posted By: maximum

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/10/17 06:32 PM

real black is good indefinitely.
i shot some this last season that's way over 20
years old.

must be a glob of grease or oil or something.
it doesn't take but a pinhead's worth blocking
the flash channel to flub a shot. if caps or primers
pop off it's something stopping it up.
Posted By: hangfire

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/10/17 07:32 PM

I have a Traditions and CVA inline. The Blackthorn 209 works good for me, I can shoot several rounds before cleaning. I did notice that some of the 209 came through the breech plug when loading. I had two miss fires using some CCI primers that I have had a few years. I switched to Remington shotgun primers and so far haven't had any more no fires. Cleaning after use is much easier with the Blackthorn 209. bg

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/10/17 09:58 PM

I will just try some new primers and get a breech plug pick.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/11/17 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Christian Hoffmann
I will just try some new primers and get a breech plug pick.

Agree. The 209 and the rifle are likely not your issues. Use the primers made by CCI, Winchester, etc that are made specifically for in-line muzzleloaders. Clean the breach plug and use a brush made for it (worst case use a pipe cleaner) as well as a good cleaning solution .....one made for muzzleloaders or even Windex or warm soapy water. Then make sure it is dry and do not use any gun oil, etc. If you want to do anything hit it with compressed air after you've cleaned it.

I clean my breech plug as follows (1) soak it in warm soapy water, (2) use a brush that fits the opening....and if I need to I may use a small drill bit to get any gunk loose, (3) flush it and brush it again, (4)Now it should be clean. Finally I get a Q-tip....tear off the cotton head ...and run that inside the opening to clean everything out Finally I hit it with compressed air.

If it's is really dirty I add the following step....I squirt WD-40 into the opening so it squirt out and let it sit. Next I get a Q-tip....tear off the cotton head like before ...and run that inside the opening to clean everything out and remove the WD-40. Then like before I hit it with compressed air.

If you don't have compressed air usae a sraw to blow air into the opening.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/13/17 01:47 PM

BlackHorn 209 specifically recommends magnum 209 primers for reliable ignition.

We have experienced the best performance, consistency and accuracy with CCI 209M and Federal 209A. NOTE: DO NOT use 209 muzzleloading primers such as Winchester Triple 7, Remington Kleenbore, Federal Fusion, or CCI In-Line MZL.

They also recommend a specific style breech plug. You can check their website for a comparison picture of the plug they recommend.

I use it in my T/C Impact with 100% reliability.
Posted By: WyoHunter

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/15/17 09:17 PM

Blackhorn 209 and CCI 209M primers work great for me. Be sure the flash hole which I think measures .035 is clean and you can see light thru it. Also it's important to have consistent pressure when you load it. Mark your ram rod to insure you do it the same each time.
Posted By: hangfire

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 03/17/17 05:18 PM

As usual I finally got around to reading the instructions for Blackthorn 209 usage. They recommend using traditional oil based rifle cleaning supplies. b
Posted By: Jim Adams

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 04/10/17 02:48 AM

In 2004 I started using inline muzzleloaders for all my big game hunting. The majority of my time is spent on my lease near Sonora where I primarily hunt whitetails. We also have axis, fallow, aoudad and feral hogs. I have 3 Knights, all 50 cal. All 3 have bare primer breech plugs and adjustable triggers. After a lot of range time I'v settled on a 100 gr load of BH 209 by volume(I also weigh it for consistency), a Winchester regular 209 primer, Harvester's black crush rib sabot and their 300 gr. PT Gold bullet. Load is extremely accurate as well as deadly.Lots of other good choices out there.
I pick my shots and usually limit them to 150 yds however I am not afraid to reach out further if I have a solid rest. I have learned a lot in the field, however there is a lot of great info on the internet. Take a look at huntingnet.com-Firearms forum- "Blackpowder"; modernmuzzleloading.com "Inline Muzzleloading and namlhunt.com just to name a few. They are a lot of fun to shoot and its a challenge. Enjoy
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 05/01/17 12:11 AM

No matter the powder or primer you are using make sure the bore and breech plug are free of moisture and oil left over from cleaning. Make sure you dry the bore with several patches before loading. Also it is a good idea to fire a cap/primer off with unloaded barrel aimed at dirt or loose leaves before loading. If the dirt or leaves don't move then you have an obstruction or fouled nipple, etc. This will also help dry the bore.
Posted By: Jim Adams

Re: Muzzleloader Ignition help - 05/03/17 11:14 AM

To make sure the flash channel is clean pick up a set of welding torch tip cleaners. There are a variety of sizes in the set and are inexpensive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum