Texas Hunting Forum

What to Buy

Posted By: Brother Phil

What to Buy - 10/12/16 02:10 AM

I was drawn for a gun-deer antlerless/spike hunt at Lake Whitney State Park. I did not realize it is muzzle loader only. I am now in the market for one. I am looking for something that is not junk, but is on the low end price wise. Any ideas?
Posted By: rickym

Re: What to Buy - 10/12/16 09:48 PM

My guess would be cva for cheap and reliable. I would probably buy a t/c though
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: What to Buy - 10/13/16 03:12 AM

The CVA Wolf is an inexpensive and reliable gun. I've never owned one, but have sighted in three of them for friends. I was impressed with the quality of the guns for the price, as well as their function and accuracy. I have no qualms recommending them for the two or three times a year muzzleloader hunter.

As a base line for my opinion, I've been a muzzleloader shooter for over 50 years, buy my powder by the case, currently own three in-lines and eleven sidelocks, and have bought, shot and later sold or gave away another dozen or so.
Posted By: NKBJ

Re: What to Buy - 10/14/16 01:59 AM

Brother Phil,
Yesterday on the way home from Toronto I picked up a new in the box flintlock Lyman fifty caliber Deerstalker for $275. That's a four hundred plus dollar rifle these days.
Look around a little, sniff the wind, don't get skinned.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: What to Buy - 10/17/16 04:30 PM

Academy and Cabelas in Waco both how some low end muzzys in their stock. They both have Traditions and CVA for good starter muzzys. You can also get an inexpensive scope to put on either one.
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: What to Buy - 10/18/16 04:27 PM

I picked up a CVA Wolf off the forum here not long ago to hunt with this year. Sighted it in easily and it's a good shooter. I've only gone out to 150 yards with it so far but it's a bell ringer at that distance. It's not something I'll use all the time but it's a keeper for me.
Posted By: basspastor

Re: What to Buy - 10/26/16 01:24 PM

I have a T/C Hawkens super nice with good scope sighted at 200 yards. I Also lots of accessories.....I would sell all for $400.00 no less if interested send me a message......
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum