Texas Hunting Forum

First muzzleloader?

Posted By: DancesWithSquirrels

First muzzleloader? - 08/08/16 05:58 PM

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a Traditions Kentucky .50 Muzzleloader. I'm more into the traditional style muzzleloaders, as well as traditional archery. Would this be a good starting muzzleloader?
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/Kentucky-.50-cal-percussion-select-hardwood-blued
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/08/16 06:41 PM

That rifle is a popular choice and will serve you well. Just understand that with its barrel twist rate of 1/66 it will probably prefer patched roundballs to conicals. There is nothing wrong with that though.

Oh yeah, welcome to THF.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/08/16 06:55 PM

I believe several of the more traditional muzzleloaders are offered in the ultra slow twists, which are traditionally correct as well as a faster twist. My brother bought a hawken replica I did too he opted for the traditional twist, I chose the faster twist. His is pretty picky about what it shoots and shoots round balls the best. Mine shoots a variety of bullets well and does good enough with round ball to hunt with.
Posted By: GLC

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/09/16 12:25 AM

I shoot Powerbelts in all three of mine traditional and inline. Although I do not shoot past 100 yards.
Posted By: gemihur

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/10/16 12:38 AM

My first was a CVA kentucky kit gun.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/10/16 01:51 AM

welcome ta texasHF & the world of muzzleloaders... cheers got inta muzzy hunting back in the 70's with a Kentucky .45 taken deer & hogs... as pappy once said: Keep your head held high & your powder dry ... flag
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/11/16 12:40 AM

Personally I like the 1/48 for hunting. The shoot a 325 gr.mine well and group 1.5 / 1.0 at 100 yards
Posted By: passthru

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/11/16 01:34 AM

My first Hawkins was a CVA kit gun. Killed several deer with it before I sold it and went in line. More of an eye sight issue with iron sights vs the gun.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/15/16 04:40 PM

I have a 1:28 twist 54 cal hawkin replica. It has shot every conical/saboted bullet well that I have tried.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: First muzzleloader? - 08/16/16 06:10 AM

Twist rate like has been mentioned will play a big roll in what your front stuffer will shoot well.

1:66 I have only seen shoot round balls well, the one I started with was a Kentucky kit in 45cal. Shot round balls well nothing else. Did kill deer though.

1:48 will shoot round balls and some conical well but not necessarily all well.

1:28 handles the conical and sabot handgun bullets very well, never have tried round balls in the 2 I now have in this twist

Good luck with what ever you choose
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum