Texas Hunting Forum

TC muzzleloaders - Cleaning

Posted By: nhmikel

TC muzzleloaders - Cleaning - 03/18/16 05:34 AM

Soon I will be getting into shooting the SST ML barrels. But one of my biggest concerns is the cleaning? How often? Especially just learning these things and Thompsons Encores. Tips please?
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: TC muzzleloaders - Cleaning - 03/20/16 08:22 PM

At the range I run a wet patch after each shot so I am shooting a clean barrel ..... when I am done for the day I clean the barrel good and if I plan to shoot it again soon I do not use any oil...... IF I am going to store the gun away for the season I clean it (use a brush if necessary to break that residue ring above the breach plug inside the barrel) and the last thing I do is run a lightly oiled patch down the barrel.

You may get other opinions but the above works.
Posted By: Humannpower

Re: TC muzzleloaders - Cleaning - 03/22/16 08:33 PM

Depending on the powder you use you'll want to do the above and run a wet patch through the barrel but there are some powders that shoot very clean like Blackhorn 209 so you don't have to clean it after every shot. But like mentioned above when you're done shooting for the day you'll want to completely disassemble and clean it. When putting it away for a while I recommend using bore butter to help preserve the barrel. Just remember to clean the bore butter out of the barrel before shooting it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum