Texas Hunting Forum

Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight

Posted By: casterbuster

Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 02:12 AM

29 yds right underneath the feeder. I draw back put my 30 yd pin right at the bottom of his chest just behind the front leg. I release and I bet the little buck dropped so low his stomach touched the ground. crying

My arrow flew perfectly straight I would have been a perfect hit. It went straight over his back. He was a cull buck about a 10" main beam and a fork on the other side.

I sure wish I would have got him it would have been my first deer with a bow. bang

Posted By: Kid Kraigrrr

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 02:39 AM

better luck next time...

Posted By: Wes70

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 03:42 AM

Keep your head up. I missed 3 deer last week. I am going out this weekend to redeem myself.

Posted By: J Cobos

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 03:44 AM

good luck on your next try, the best practice i guess is hands on so you will only get better.

Posted By: Gus McRae

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 02:14 PM

Don't worry about it, I missed my very first archery doe this season. I went out and killed a doe on my next shot a few weeks later.

Everyone misses...you just got one out of the way early!

Posted By: A.B.

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 02:35 PM

You have now learned the lesson we all have.

Shoot a little lower than you think you should.

Good luck.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 03:13 PM

Sorry to hear, but it going to happen, keep on trying.

Posted By: jrich

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 03:16 PM

i missed 5 deer and bow hunted for 2 years before i ever put a deer on the ground. there is sooo much you have to learn about bow hunting before you can become successful. keep trying!!! it will happen one day, and when it does it will be worth all the hard work

Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 05:58 PM

make it count. It happens to evey bowhunter, just next time have the attitude that the next arrow you let go is going to kill whatever it is intended for. Good luck

Posted By: Serpico

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 07:39 PM

Think no more about it my friend. It won't be the last one you miss. It's part of the Bow hunting life. You won't miss next time.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes70
Keep your head up. I missed 3 deer last week. I am going out this weekend to redeem myself.

Wes... Take some Niquil that will get read of the deer shakes LMAO rofl

I probley just put bad mojo on myself..

Posted By: Driller

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/13/09 08:19 PM

if you bowhunt much it happens and if it dont then your lying

Posted By: duckingarrow

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/15/09 01:12 AM

Guess you need your uncle to show you how it is done? grin

Posted By: Mr. 2 Million

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/15/09 01:39 AM

everybody misses . I missed the first three I shot at but then hit the next four . better luck next outing and keep practicing it will pay off

Posted By: killemall

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/15/09 02:02 AM

First 5 shots at live things for me were

pig miss, same pig hit, doe miss, doe bad hit (lost), yote miss.

This was after countless hours of practice. It has gotten alot better. Now stuff dies.

Posted By: Bowslinger

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/16/09 03:03 PM

I dont believe all this mess if you cant hit one then get out of the woods! LOL J/K! At least hes not just wounded and coyote food! I have missed 1 outright and gut shot another buck that I found a year later! Bad part of bowhunting but it sure makes it more exciting! Better luck next time.

Posted By: Estexan07

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/16/09 05:55 PM

I killed the first three deer I shot at with my bow AND a turkey. HOWEVER, I've missed the past 3 deer... A big 11 point last season, a doe and spike this season.

It happens. I shot too high on both the doe and spike, they both ducked. I shouldn't have shot at the doe, she was nervous to begin with.

The 11 point... um.. I don't know what happened. I was so excited I could barely keep a pin on him, let alone the one I wanted, lol.

Posted By: casterbuster

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/17/09 02:05 AM

Well I got the sucker last night, although he came out to late for the bow (couldn't see through my peep) he fell to the AR-15.

Posted By: 30-06hunter

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/17/09 04:14 PM

its okay ive been bowhunting for 4 years and all ive got is a rabbit, ive missed so many hogs and deer i dont even want to talk about it

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/17/09 04:40 PM

u miss some u drop some, just go and try to get u another one

Posted By: Hogfather

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/23/09 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Serpico
Think no more about it my friend. It won't be the last one you miss. It's part of the Bow hunting life. You won't miss next time.

Very well said. Sorry about the moss, you will get on him, just keep with it.

Posted By: Angler's Lodge

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/23/09 05:21 PM

Hell, I have missed at 10 yards much less 30. Keep your chin up ! No biggie. He will be back. No blood, no foul.

Posted By: big rack hunter 137

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/24/09 12:01 AM

keep your chin up i missed my first hog at 15 yards and he weighed 400 then he was taken the next week by some other guy on my lease. I was real mad but then i shot the only deer last season on that place. He will come back and you will stick him real good that time. Just keep your chin up that's what i always say.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/24/09 12:43 AM

It's okay a clean miss is better than a bad hit and they both are misses. You'll get one. Keep at it.

Posted By: Lonestar Hunting

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/24/09 04:49 AM

There's always next time. Lessons learned!

Posted By: quick&quiet

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/24/09 06:36 PM

I also missed my 1st spike, my fault, did not take elevation of my stand into account. he ducked rite under it. My only advise is to not let this effect your next shot. let it fly. by the way i took a nice old cull buck the next week out of the same stand.

Posted By: big10

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/24/09 09:56 PM

Your not the only one man. I have yet to kill a deer with my bow. Iv missed 2 different spikes 3 times . Last weekend I did get a pig so im improving. I hopeing to get another shot at one of those spikes this week.

Good luck man and dont give up

Posted By: Sundial

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/30/09 05:21 AM

Yep, you feel like crap when you miss one, and you feel like total crap when you hit one and never find it. It makes you practice harder and be much more picky about your shots. Sometimes you just miss though, practice and all be damned.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Missed my first bow shot at deer tonight - 11/30/09 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Wes70
dang Wes.....from all I've ever seen on here you NEVER miss...

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum