Texas Hunting Forum

Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge

Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 05/04/18 03:06 AM

IT'S TIME banana2

Archery Hunt Applications and Permits To insure a quality and safe hunt; the number of permits issued each year will change in accordance with the number of acres available to hunt. For the 2018 hunt, applications will be accepted at Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge beginning May 1 and ending May 31. Applications may not be postmarked before May 1 or after May 31. There is a $5 application fee (non-refundable) per person and each person may enter only one time.

NEW THIS YEAR: You are not required to have completed a bowhunter education (BHE) course to be eligible to apply, however you
MUST have completed a BHE course before you will be allowed to hunt.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 05/04/18 07:46 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Definitely getting in on the lottery.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 05/05/18 01:43 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I knew it was in May but wasn't sure of the deadline.
Posted By: Wildphilhickup

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 06/12/18 09:32 PM

Well, I did not get drawn. That’s 3 years in a row now not getting a ticket to hunt.

Their point system is “goofy”.

In the first year, if you don’t get drawn you are at Zero points.
If you don’t get drawn the second year, you get 1 point. And every year thereafter adds 1 additional point.
If you don’t apply 1 year, you go back to zero points.
Why don’t they make it simple and just give 1 point each year not drawn.
And why should anyone lose their points if they don’t apply 1 year?

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 06/12/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildphilhickup
Well, I did not get drawn. That’s 3 years in a row now not getting a ticket to hunt.

Their point system is “goody”.

In the first year, if you don’t get drawn you are at Zero points.
If you don’t get drawn the second year, you get 1 point. And every year thereafter adds 1 additional point.
If you don’t apply 1 year, you go back to zero points.
Why don’t they make it simple and just give 1 point each year not drawn.
And why should anyone lose their points if they don’t apply 1 year?

Government hammer

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 06/14/18 01:41 PM

Struck out as well(have zero pts). Wildphil, based on your points, you should get picked next year.

I'd like to see them drop the proficiency test requirement. For those of us not in a club, it's a hassle to seek out an "IBO Course" to qualify on. I'd rather donate the test fee to the Hag.
Posted By: Buccaneer

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 06/26/18 05:32 PM

Hate the whole deal about losing all your points if you don't apply one year. Seems silly for 1 missed year. I had 2 points accumulated then missed a year and went back to 0, which I didn't know would happen. Started applying again the next year and have gotten to 2 points and STILL never drawn.

Now I'm just hoping that when TPWD takes over the draw next year that the points still hold!! Otherwise that'd be a real kick in the acorns.

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 07/03/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Buccaneer
Hate the whole deal about losing all your points if you don't apply one year. Seems silly for 1 missed year. I had 2 points accumulated then missed a year and went back to 0, which I didn't know would happen. Started applying again the next year and have gotten to 2 points and STILL never drawn.

Now I'm just hoping that when TPWD takes over the draw next year that the points still hold!! Otherwise that'd be a real kick in the acorns.

Was unaware TPWD was managing the draw next year. Should increase 'donations' to the Hag considerably. Be nice if they carried over the points!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 07/04/18 06:47 PM

I've never applied. From the live hunts I've seen done on TBH I'm not impressed.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 07/04/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I've never applied. From the live hunts I've seen done on TBH I'm not impressed.

Have you ever been to Hagerman?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge - 07/05/18 03:30 AM

I think I explained that in my last post. I've driven by it. I know it's given up some nice deer. But most bowhunters walk away empty handed. I'd rather have a good lease.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum