Texas Hunting Forum

Books for Archery Rookies

Posted By: AdanV

Books for Archery Rookies - 01/03/18 08:48 PM

Good afternoon,
Can any of yall recommend good books for beginners?

Preferably one that doesn't make it over complicated and leans toward bow hunting.

I've been subscribing to this guy's YouTube channel, and I've learned a good deal.
https://www.youtube.com/user/seansoutdoor

I'll be buying his book as well, Sins & Spirituality of Archery

This past weekend, I was able to finally to put some time to practice on the used bow I purchased:
Diamond Razor Edge, Set at 60# Draw Weight.
Draw Length was originally at 24", but I was able to adjust it to the correct length for me (26.5")

I shot it maybe 40 times, and the grouping has been 12" in diameter.
Distance was close to 20 yards.

I know for a lot yall, that's garbage, but I'll get there eventually.

Thanks,
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/03/18 11:18 PM

You may have something off if your hitting that wide at 20. Have you taken it to a pro shop to check timing and tune? It would be a good idea to have them watch you shoot a few.
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/04/18 01:28 AM

Think about lowering draw weight so you can shoot more and get better form. when I first got my bow I had it set at 42 pounds. could shoot for 4 hours strait . A few weeks later moved the weight back up
Posted By: charrisonLSON

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/04/18 05:34 PM

Hunting with the Bow and Arrow by Saxton Pope is a must-read for any archer. Prob won't improve your accuracy (keep practicing and you'll be fine), but it is an awesome read on the history of bow hunting.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/04/18 09:26 PM

Books are great but shooting with someone and real time feed back is best thing that you can do. Videos are very helpful but time behind the string is the best. I learned by trial and error and started at close range and slowly gained distance. If you can find someone to shoot with you want someone that understands how to be humble and remember you are starting out. What they shoot and how doesn't mean it will work for you...important thing is keep it fun!
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/05/18 01:48 AM

Here ya go
Bernie Pellerite
Idiot Proof Archery: How to Shoot Like a Pro-Step by Step (Even If You Have a Real Job!)
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Books for Archery Rookies - 01/08/18 03:47 PM

Thank yall.
I was able to practice a bit more and the grouping is closing in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum