Texas Hunting Forum

Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill?

Posted By: SapperTitan

Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/22/17 09:17 PM

What is your process for cleaning and reusing broad heads? I replaced 2 blades on my Muzzy trocar and cleaned with soap and water as good as I could but was wondering if I should give the whole broad head a little soak in peroxide or something to kill and remaining germs from the hog I killed or is soap and water all thats needed? I just don't want to transfer bacteria from a broad head to another animal when I shoot it, if thats even an issue.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/23/17 04:03 AM

I just wash in soap and water then sharpen them back up. But I use Montecs and no blades to replace or slots for gunk to get in.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/25/17 04:07 PM

Anyone else?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/25/17 09:42 PM

I just use dish soap, water and a tooth brush.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/26/17 01:36 AM

I have a little different approach. I clean them in the shower. Resharpen and repeat.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/26/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
I just use dish soap, water and a tooth brush.

What I do
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/27/17 06:31 AM

I soak mine in peroxide first before washing and brushing. I'm not sure it works, but it makes me feel better! Lol
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/28/17 06:22 PM

Another soap, water, rescharpen and good to go. I also used Montec's
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 10/30/17 12:11 AM

I use NAP Thunderheads so I clean and replace the blades.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 11/04/17 12:16 PM

Dish soap, water, and toothbrush. Replace blades as needed.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 11/04/17 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtis

Same as above then spin test them on the arrow to make sure there is no wobble.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 11/15/17 04:28 AM

I clean them up and replace blades as needed. Put them in a jar of alcohol for a while to get rid of any extra water and kill whatever else might be on them. You can store them in alcohol until next season if you want.
Posted By: crazyal

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 11/23/17 04:38 PM

Why bother cleaning them? Kinda like the alcohol pad sterilization before the lethal injection.
Posted By: bucksducksntrucks

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/01/17 09:56 PM

You don't eat the recipients of lethal injections. smile
Posted By: bowbuilder1971

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/02/17 03:45 PM

I have been using the same 6 traditional glue-on broadheads for over 10 years. Little bit of alcohol, soap and water and then dried off and put back in the quiver. They are a lot easier to clean

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/06/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pappybear

Same as above then spin test them on the arrow to make sure there is no wobble.

This^^^
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/07/17 09:15 PM

I have cleaned and sharpened slick tricks before. I will usually use the old ones on hogs and new ones on deer. Killed multiples hogs on one broad head.
Posted By: millerliteliker

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/10/17 08:18 PM

I use G5 Montecs. Soap and water to clean, and then sharpen on a stone. They end up being sharper than new out of the box, which is not saying much.

I do NOT reuse the arrow. That arrow immediately gets a field tip screwed in and goes to my tube of "practice" arrows. No real reason, except I don't feel confident enough about being able to identify damage to the arrow to reuse it.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/23/17 03:19 PM

Ah just sale the entire setup after each kill and start over new. He who dies with the most toys dies the happiest anyways, right?
Posted By: mreed

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/24/17 02:03 PM

I hunt with slick tricks, after a kill I will take them apart, clean and inspect them. If the blades looks bent, chipped or damaged in any way it either goes in the trash or set to the side to be used for corn thieves and coyotes. If they are not damaged then they are resharpened and put back in the rotation. Also if the ferrule has any damage it gets set to the side for varmints. I will keep using an arrow until it shows any sign of damage, after I shoot an animal I will tap it on something solid and listen for a rattle and also bend it to feel/listen for any kind of crunching sound
Posted By: Sandbill

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/26/17 02:22 PM

Get Slick Trick bloodied, rinse, repeat.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/26/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: mreed
I hunt with slick tricks, after a kill I will take them apart, clean and inspect them. If the blades looks bent, chipped or damaged in any way it either goes in the trash or set to the side to be used for corn thieves and coyotes. If they are not damaged then they are resharpened and put back in the rotation. Also if the ferrule has any damage it gets set to the side for varmints. I will keep using an arrow until it shows any sign of damage, after I shoot an animal I will tap it on something solid and listen for a rattle and also bend it to feel/listen for any kind of crunching sound

Me too, only think that I would add is that I shoot and the cleaned/repaid combination again to verify that it was tracking as well as my others.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 12/26/17 07:44 PM

Ah just sale the entire setup after each kill and start over new. He who dies with the most toys dies the happiest anyways, right?

Looking for a new bow Curtis? roflmao
Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs

Re: Cleaning and reusing broad heads after a kill? - 03/05/18 02:36 AM

I clean them up and resharpen and use
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum