Texas Hunting Forum

Suggestions on first bow for adult

Posted By: TXN810E

Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/24/17 02:31 PM

Good morning, I am new to bow hunting and trying to determine which bow may be best to purchase. I was recently fitted and told that I need a bow with a 31" or 32" draw. I'm looking for a solid, durable bow that I can learn and hunt with. I'd prefer to keep it under $1k total for the set up. I really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Posted By: Mactownfuzz

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/24/17 05:26 PM

I went to a local archery shop when I was in your same predicament. I told them my budget and they picked out about a half a dozen different bows for me to shoot. I ultimately went with a Hoyt because I liked the feel best, but got the opportunity to feel the difference in the various setups firsthand before I made my decision.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/24/17 06:51 PM

How tall are you? A 31"-32" draw is going to narrow down your selection quite a bit. Most adjustable draws stop at 30".
Posted By: J.Monaghan

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/27/17 09:58 PM

most bows that are 31"-32" are the X bows... EX. HalonX
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/28/17 05:05 AM

31 to 32 inches does limit the selection. PSE main line bows have a few that get to 31. Bear mainline bows also have a few that reach to 31. The bear Attitude is an older bear that is still made with a 32 draw and is a solid performer for around 400. Is it a Mathews, hoyt, elite,,,, no is it a solid bow yes.

Go to some shops and see what they have. hold and compare some then shoot the ones that feel goo
Let the bow tell you which to buy
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/28/17 12:30 PM

Just a suggestion since ita being this close to the season, and if you do intend to hunt this year, I'd suggest a crossbow since you don't have enough time to get proficient with a compound, especially if you've never shot a bow before.
Bowhunting isn't rifle hunting where you take a rifle to the range, zero it in, and then you are ready to go. Crossbow is the closest to that!

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/29/17 03:46 AM

I'm 6'4. The guy at Cinnamon Creek Ranch said that 31" was borderline for me.

Re: Suggestions on first bow for adult - 09/29/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
31 to 32 inches does limit the selection. PSE main line bows have a few that get to 31. Bear mainline bows also have a few that reach to 31. The bear Attitude is an older bear that is still made with a 32 draw and is a solid performer for around 400. Is it a Mathews, hoyt, elite,,,, no is it a solid bow yes.

Go to some shops and see what they have. hold and compare some then shoot the ones that feel goo
Let the bow tell you which to buy

Thank you, I really appreciate it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum