Texas Hunting Forum

A first!

Posted By: redchevy

A first! - 09/15/17 02:13 PM

While I'm sure many have seen it and even done it before it was a first for me. And while it was cool for all of about 5 seconds it was then not cool as I realized I had an arrow to throw away... but I ended up hanging it in the horns of a mount till I feel like trashing it.

My first... and hopefully last robin hood.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 02:41 PM

Congrats on your first

See all those other little dots around the big dot in the middle, one arrow at each dot gives you practice without Robinhoods, the first few are cool but then they do get expensive.

Your target will not get shot out as fast either if you spread it around

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 02:51 PM

Will definitely have to remember to shoot at different dots.

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 02:54 PM

It is still fun to robinhood someone else arrow at the range

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 03:03 PM

Haha, never shot more than a time or two at a range when buying a bow. That target is on the edge of my carport and I'm shooting from my front porch
Posted By: passthru

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 05:39 PM

Congrats. Now start shooting at the little circles, one arrow each. clap

Re: A first! - 09/15/17 07:07 PM

I cant be my cheap old self too much longer. I was down to 4 arrows 2 practice and 2 unfired I hunt with. Wonder if there is much variation from box to box on arrows or if cabelas even still makes these still.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: A first! - 09/16/17 11:14 AM

I used to think it was pretty cool at first, until I got tired of buying new arrows, replacing nocks, and having to refletch my arrows, so I started shooting a five spot target when I practiced, and only shot the bullseye when I wanted to show off at the range with everyone watching. roflmao
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 01:00 PM

My girlfriend did this yesterday, I was beyond shocked as she has only been shooting a bow for 6 days now!!
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 01:07 PM

I saved my first (and only)one. Both arrows are hanging in my garage. So I guess it cost me 2 arrows.

As other have said, it was cool but I don't want to repeat it so it don't shoot at the same spot very often.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 03:34 PM

The sound it makes is first clue you did something new! The pop of bag target is distinct, the sound of arrow getting hosed is unique! I have maybe 7-8 arrows I have cornholed. It has taken me awhile to accumulate them so not a regular occurance.People keep saying shoot dots, it's rare to do that for most of us none pro types so not going to break the bank trying/doing it. My robinhoods bother folks they are welcome to donate cash and I will quit trying. boxing

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 04:18 PM

They don't bother me but I don't like fletching arrows I seem to ruin more fletching than nocks than the arrows themselves.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 05:08 PM

Back when I first started shooting a bow, and that was a long, long time ago, when they made shafts from hollow woven fiberglass, (before carbon) and I shot those tight little groups and unknowingly being inexperienced I undoubtedly nicked one of the arrows pretty good.
I drew back and released the string and heard a loud crack and saw something fly skyward. I was looking up at a piece of my arrow flying overhead and my brother who was shooting with me said "look at your hand."
I looked down at my hand holding the bow and there was about six inches of shaft sticking out at the base of my thumb.
It was pretty much numb until I pulled the shaft out and then the fun began.
I still bare the scar to this day 47 years later, but I still get a little shy shooting my semi tight groups with carbon arrows, although I think they would be a little more durable, but I'm not willing to take that chance.
Lesson learned,....check your equipment before you practice and especially the arrows.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: A first! - 09/18/17 09:39 PM

^^^Yup

I have messed up carbon arrows shooting 3d targets when the arrows hit each other but did not robinhood. A cracked or splintered arrow is dangerous.
Posted By: JCB

Re: A first! - 09/19/17 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhuntr2
^^^Yup

I have messed up carbon arrows shooting 3d targets when the arrows hit each other but did not robinhood. A cracked or splintered arrow is dangerous.

People ask me all the time why I still use aluminum. I know people that work in emergency rooms and have seen pics of what a splintered arrow can do. NO THANKS!!!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A first! - 09/21/17 04:25 PM

^^^Yup

x2

Tight groups look cool but it's not a good idea to pump carbon arrows into each other
Posted By: GLC

Re: A first! - 09/21/17 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
^^^Yup

People ask me all the time why I still use aluminum. I know people that work in emergency rooms and have seen pics of what a splintered arrow can do. NO THANKS!!!

Are we the only 2 shooters that still use aluminum arrows? I still shoot Easton 2117's.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A first! - 09/21/17 11:28 PM

I didn't even know they made aluminum arrows anymore ....

Re: A first! - 09/22/17 01:06 AM

Yup Easton still makes some
Posted By: varnoldi13

Re: A first! - 09/22/17 01:13 PM

I got Easton 2219 for when trying new distances and adjusting the sights. Then the carbon shoots an in or two higher .
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: A first! - 09/25/17 08:55 PM

I always pulled my practice arrows after each shot to avoid ruining arrows or fletchings. The time pulling the arrows also gave me some rest between shots.

JR
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum