Texas Hunting Forum

Block Targets?

Posted By: Bobcat4119

Block Targets? - 07/13/17 05:56 PM

So I bought one from Academy last Sept and have shot it maybe 2-300 times "Field tips ONLY" and now my arrows are blowing through it with ease when I shoot the middle dot. I thought these were supposed to be top of the line or something like that??? I've had 20 year old Styrofoam targets hold up better than this crap.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Block Targets? - 07/13/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat4119
So I bought one from Academy last Sept and have shot it maybe 2-300 times "Field tips ONLY" and now my arrows are blowing through it with ease when I shoot the middle dot. I thought these were supposed to be top of the line or something like that??? I've had 20 year old Styrofoam targets hold up better than this crap.

Rotate the block and shoot at different locations. The price you pay when you're a good shot (maybe you don't need much practice) up

Re: Block Targets? - 07/13/17 08:45 PM

HaHa, valid point! I'm just very unimpressed with it. There's NO reason my arrows should be passing through this target.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Block Targets? - 07/13/17 10:24 PM

Shoot any target in the same place over anmd over and it will wear out. I haven't shot for groups in years since the targets have multiple dots shoot to the different dots front back and sides and the target life will be much longer. Blocks are good but if you want one that will last longer get a Rinehart target. They are a bit more difficult to remove the arrow from but they last and hold up. he Rinehart 18-1 even comes with a warranty of sorts, if you shoot it out to where the fletching is in to the target on all 18 faces in a year time they will replace it with a new one. Archery shops have tried and few of those targets have been replaced. A release agent of oil or soap will make arrow removal from one much easier.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Block Targets? - 07/14/17 12:10 AM

Spot shoot like the others said.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Block Targets? - 07/14/17 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Shoot any target in the same place over anmd over and it will wear out. I haven't shot for groups in years since the targets have multiple dots shoot to the different dots front back and sides and the target life will be much longer. Blocks are good but if you want one that will last longer get a Rinehart target. They are a bit more difficult to remove the arrow from but they last and hold up. he Rinehart 18-1 even comes with a warranty of sorts, if you shoot it out to where the fletching is in to the target on all 18 faces in a year time they will replace it with a new one. Archery shops have tried and few of those targets have been replaced. A release agent of oil or soap will make arrow removal from one much easier.

I just bought the 18-1 target last week. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but the reviews were overwhelmingly good, and I got tired of always settling for sub par products and bought what seems to be the best target on the market.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Block Targets? - 07/14/17 11:44 AM

Academy sells a knock off Rinehart target for a $100. It will last a long time. Only down side is it's hard to remove arrows from but you can get used to it.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Block Targets? - 07/14/17 02:47 PM

Get a BullDog DogHouse FP target. $100 delivered and a lifetime warranty.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Block Targets? - 07/14/17 05:13 PM

If you're only using field tips, why not just buy a bag target at half the cost. Then buy another cheap block target for your broadheads. I'm still using a cheap block that I bought years ago but done wore out the bag.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Block Targets? - 07/16/17 04:13 PM

I had to repaint my 18-1 as the way it is painted I lose the pin when aiming. Ive noticed a lot of people have modified theirs as well. Other than that, Ive had it 2 yrs and havent worn out 1 of the 18 sides yet. Once you get once spot shot up pretty good, the arrows pull out much easier.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Block Targets? - 07/17/17 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: TX0303
Get a BullDog DogHouse FP target. $100 delivered and a lifetime warranty.

I like Bulldog targets! I have one of the large ones(36x36). I rotate it and switch sides and is great for at house, not something you throw in truck and take to lease but would be fine to do that if going to leave it for season. Lat thing you want to see is someone drawning back BH when shooting at it!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Block Targets? - 07/29/17 09:58 PM

Cabela's bowhunting classic, the 18-1 targets are $30 off and a $10 mail in rebate which brings them down to 90 if you do the rebate.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Block Targets? - 08/10/17 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: kmon1

I just bought the 18-1 target last week. Haven't gotten to shoot it yet, but the reviews were overwhelmingly good, and I got tired of always settling for sub par products and bought what seems to be the best target on the market.

Got to shoot 24 arrows at the 18-1 today. Very impressed. Field point are a bit tight to pull out, but broadheads come out like butter. Once I switched to broadheads I prepared myself to fight with the target getting them out. I was shocked. Buy a reinhardt. I'm really glad I bought the best target I could find. And I'm shooting a crossbow at 370 fps

Re: Block Targets? - 08/11/17 02:06 PM

Nice!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum